If you Could Fossil hunt Anywhere

MatthewS.Paleofan

So If you could Fossil hunt anywhere in the world. Where would you go, how long would you be there and what tools would you bring to help? 

I would Like to go to a lovely Clear stream in One of Florida's forests. I have always wanted to Scuba dive there and look for the many fossils that lye under the waters surface.  

What I would like to Look for are the fossils of Mastodons and Titanis walleri along with any species of Alligators that may have lived there during the Pleistocene era.

Not only that but to also look at the current Wild life, You know it is awe Inspiring to think, this is one of the few places in America you will find a hold over from an ancient time, the mighty American Alligator. 

I think their presents within the water has scared a few people off from looking on the floor of the body's of water. It's almost somewhat Ironic that people go looking for fossils, some of which are from giant predators but can be scared off by an Alligator. 

But where do you want to fossil hunt? 

MacStone_-1156.jpg

If I could be absurdly magical here, I would have a good acreage here in Ontario with the ability to strip layer after layer until I hit the Precambrian basement. Otherwise, if there were more ready exposures of the Bois Blanc Fm, I'd be hunting for a full Terataspis grandis

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

My home state has been good to me but if I had to get picky, hunting marine cretaceous or eocene sediments (shark teeth/maybe even hit mosasaur or archaeocete whale bits) would probably be pretty fun

I hate to pick favorites because they're all good.  But right now, I'd say Ediacara Hills Vendozoans and the Burgess Shale.  But again, I get excited about just about any fossiliferous exposure... :):hammer01:

28 minutes ago, piranha said:

This looks like a good spot...  Posted ImagePosted Image

IMG.thumb.jpg.8e160d6d175f7560a253623f8da205a6.jpg

And where is this, Scott? Would one have to don the same garb - I don't know if I could do britches! :D

9 minutes ago, Kane said:

And where is this, Scott? Would one have to don the same garb - I don't know if I could do britches! :D

This is the most iconic spot in the history of fossil collecting.  Mandatory knowledge, especially for Canadians! :P

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Oh c'mon, Scott - dish for us less savvy folks! Is it Burgess shale? Don't make me pepper this thread with false positives! :P

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

...Is it Burgess shale?...

Yes, with none other than the original finder: C.D. Walcott.  

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

*slaps forehead* Of course! How could I not have known that! I had actually never seen a photograph of Walcott. Colour me schooled!

I would have loved to hunted the Leisey Shell Pit in Florida with Frank Garcia where he had so many famous discoveries. I'm pretty happy with Texas for now. :)

There are so many places that I dream of visiting, but I'd certainly love to get into the Russian cretaceous for heteromorph ammonites or the Callovian for the mother of pearl preservation. Of course I'd like to dig for the famous ammolite Placenticeras, but I think that's just wishful thinking. The Pierre Shale would be more realistic.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

If I had to pick ONE dream scenario...it would have to be the opportunity to have free rein in the Eocene/Oligocene badlands of the Dakotas, Nebraska and Wyoming for a couple of decades.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

So do you scuba with Alligators now?  I collect in the Peace & Myakka rivers now with alligators about but I need a bit more education to dive with them.  The Myakka is tidally influenced so it is rarely as clear as your photo and it has cut through limestone so it is often undercut (gator holes).  Plus the Myakka is connected to deep hole http://ticket.heraldtribune.com/2013/02/27/gators-gather-at-deep-hole-wilderness-site-in-myakka-river-state-park/

I've heard tales of scuba diving golf ball retrievers running into gators in the water traps & just moving around them a bit.

Any insight on becoming a gator whisperer would be appreciated but I'm still not sure if I can put it into practice.

Oh, where would I go to hunt?  I'd go to the SC creeks where the megs just fall out the creek beds after a rain....

Calvin

Bear gulch. I would stay for a week, or maybe ten. :)

I would being concrete saws and a large truck to store my finds.

Hell Creek or Lance Formation. Maybe I could buy an acre or thousand of it someday, that would be ideal! I developed a "thing" for dinosaurs in grade school & it has just hung on into adulthood! :trex:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

I have 0 desire to dive with gators lol. 

I'm going to go for my dream trip this summer in montana to hopefully dig up some dino bones.

I don't understand why you all think so small. I would want to collect in the American Museum of Natural History or the Smithsonian. You can get some of Walcotts original finds, already prepped and mounted dinosaurs, not to mention some decent mineral specimens and stone tools. Heck, they all come prelabeled and there are food vendors and clean bathrooms nearby! Whats not to love?

Florida.....to hunt Pleistocene mammal fossils. The best part is that I am doing just that soon. 

Also want to go to California to Shark Tooth Hill someday. 

On 3/31/2017 at 11:27 PM, smt126 said:

I have 0 desire to dive with gators lol. 

Ditto! Plus, I can't swim. :meganim:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

Archived