If you Could Fossil hunt Anywhere

MatthewS.Paleofan

Having just hunted the Peace River, and only for a short time has made me dying to go back. I know I just barely scratched the surface of what the Peace has to offer.  I can't wait to literally dig deeper.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

After watching a movie on the fossils that have been found in Mongolia, I would love to go visit there and search...not just for the fossils, but for the culture as well.

Rob :D

Alberta and Montana are fossil rich. I'd spend all my time exploring their fossil beds.

Bear Gulch

White River Formation

Burgess Shale

Red Hill, PA

Penn Dixie

Escuminac Bay

Budenbach

and every where else I didnt list here...:D

• 2 weeks later...

Langs quarry for Eurypterids. I would bring my crack hammer, rock hammer, chisels, and wrecking bars.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

As long as we're dreaming; I'd have to travel to some other life sustaining planet to check out what creatures once roamed there.

I would just love to get back into the Lee Creek Mine one more time ........................................................................................

• I found this Informative 1

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Anywhere I can get dirty and find something is ok with me  though I dream of being able to find a Meg Tooth & a dino jaw of my own. Poverty will keep me in Pennsylvania though.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

• 7 months later...

I would love to own my own private beach, exclusively for me. I'd gate it off so only I can use it. The sea would do all the work for me and i'd just do a daily stroll and get first pick of all the finds, doesnt really matter which type of fossils but ammonites, reptile remains and shark teeth would be perfect. You guys would all be welcome. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

I'd have to say ditto on the iceless Antarctica and I'd take my daughter because she has great eyes and is much closer to the ground than I. 

I was going to say exact same thing as Peat Burns said. Burgess, Ediacara - or any similar site (Russian White Sea coast, Chengjiang, Newfoundland..). But there are plenty other sites from many time periods that I can only dream about hitting.

I would probably only need hammer/chisel, and would only need to be there long enough to get a few choice specimens for my collection.... Thinking bigger, I'd stay long enough to find something new to science, or discover a new site with Burgess-type or Ediacaran fossils (or soft-bodied fauna of any age).

On 4/2/2017 at 3:28 PM, JohnBrian said:

Ditto! Plus, I can't swim. :meganim:

A radioactive penguin that can't swim, how pathetic is that?

Anywhere but my backyard, I got notthin.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I'd like to find and excavate a complete, full-sized Arthropleura.... wherever that could be found.

Context is critical.

I would hit the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago after the Zombie Apocalypse- I would hit the back storage rooms. I have been there before and there is stuff that the public will never see. My tools would be a semi-truck, forklift and of course, a large Estwing pick hammer to take out any Zombies.

• I found this Informative 4

On 3/31/2017 at 2:08 PM, ynot said:

I think it would be fantastic to hunt an ice free antarctica.

If all that ice melted, I'd probably be too busy collecting meteorites to notice any fossils....

Context is critical.

On 12/17/2017 at 7:17 PM, Nimravis said:

I would hit the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago after the Zombie Apocalypse- I would hit the back storage rooms. I have been there before and there is stuff that the public will never see. My tools would be a semi-truck, forklift and of course, a large Estwing pick hammer to take out any Zombies.

But then there would only be you to enjoy them. Every one else is either dead or fighting for survival.

You'd better invite me over afterward, cuz I intend to kick some grevious zombie butt and live.

Better yet, if everyone is gone, just move into the museum.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

If I could hunt anywhere I think it would be Dinosaur National Park.  I would stay long enough to dig out a large Dino that is mostly complete.

I would bring all the tools necessary as well as a few friends to help dig and load into my big truck to haul the booty home.