Brett Breakin' Rocks

Summerville, South Carolina - 03/17/17

Brett Breakin' Rocks

Hello folks,

Long time no see .... Wanted to share a few finds from the creek-bed. My first two toothed whale teeth popped up in a recent trip, worn but fun.  There were a few angustidens as well, and an alopias sp. that was larger and a bit broader than I had seen before.  The best part honestly was almost lost ... it's those moments when you pause as you are tossing chunks of larger rock back into the water. Not one, but two little teeth still locked in their matrix came up in my sifter.

Cheers,

Brett 

03_Summerville_SC_Angy_031717.thumb.jpg.3cdb36d285f4ce26cb91af0a6299493c.jpg

02_Summerville_SC_Angy_031717.thumb.jpg.c466809bb69b6835f041e4cc4982ec8e.jpg

01_Summerville_SC_Odontocetes_031717.thumb.jpg.a0b204b4642281ab0abcd34980fc6757.jpg

01_Summerville_SC_InSitu_031717.thumb.jpg.1d3a2125b05af3b76a198e80a8e50c40.jpg

03_Summerville_SC_AlopiasSp_031717.thumb.jpg.668d80c30cf905dbe4484c54d4f1ce96.jpg

Fossildude19

Brett, 

Nice finds, and great pictures!

Those matrix teeth are cool. 

Glad they weren't  tossed away. :) 

Thanks for posting these.

Regards,

Brett Breakin' Rocks
16 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Brett, 

Nice finds, and great pictures!

Those matrix teeth are cool. 

Glad they weren't  tossed away. :) 

Thanks for posting these.

Regards,

Thanks Tim, always appreciate your help on the IDs.  Well that and everything you do on the back-end to make this whole site and the interactions on it running smoothly.

Cheers,

Brett

Big Bend Brian

Brett very very nice!! Love those angustidens! And the matrix teeth. Exceptionally cool!!

Outstanding photography too.

Thanks for posting!

Brian

Shellseeker

Great Fossil finds.  So many locations,  so little time. Please share some tips/methods on the great photos -lighting, background, etc.  I have a preference for whale

IMG_3163WhaleKogiopsis.thumb.JPG.9d2bf57f237d2ac3e06e537468de8a20.JPG

Brett Breakin' Rocks
8 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Great Fossil finds.  So many locations,  so little time. Please share some tips/methods on the great photos -lighting, background, etc.  I have a preference for whale

IMG_3163WhaleKogiopsis.thumb.JPG.9d2bf57f237d2ac3e06e537468de8a20.JPG

Hi Mr. Jack. Oh wow .. that whale tooth is a real beauty.  I could see that used as a self-defense weapon in a pinch !

As for the images I wish there was some magic to creating them but honestly I have an ancient Epson Perfection 2480 Photo scanner.  With the scanner I often swap between using it without the lid on, to have a nice black background, or loosely placing a sheet of paper over the teeth if they have color or if they are black.  The light levels from the diffuse bounced light of the paper help to illuminate the darker teeth a bit.

The best guide that I found for learning the art of scanning teeth was from elasmo.  http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html?file=refs/terms/scanning.html&menu=bin/menu_refs-alt.html

This is a fantastic guide with great tips. The best tip was to make sure the lamp light strikes the tooth from top to bottom as it scans.  Turning the tooth at 45 degrees or less can alter the highlights, thus helping to give the tooth more 3D form and definition.  I've had mixed results with cambrian trilobites and scanners in the past so I'm gonna explore different techniques for those in the future. Maybe using talcum powder in a can to pull out details .. I'm thinking on that one.

Of course my rough scans look like this:

This is an example of a Ric that is not positioned correctly.  No highlights, and I like to see at least a little to help the shape.  Scanners can really flatten a 3- dimensional object.

Ric_Upsidedown_001.thumb.jpg.8e5c2f0f39dc583c09afbffee2924fca.jpg

The Ric Re-Positioned (rotated about 180) and turned at an angle

Ric_Upsidedown_002.thumb.jpg.ab5dcc9d02c229b1d5b138305dfed69c.jpg

Other Side

Ric_Upsidedown_003.thumb.jpg.194d9bf751a9a33bbd7404e09469fb60.jpg

You will notice the first two are a bit red in color and the last is pushing blue.  The meter for the light temperature on the scanner isn't usually accurate so I will adjust the color and color-correct the images.  They are scanned at 600 dpi.  They are removed from the white background and placed into an image with a size of 1920 x 1080 72dpi (FULL HD Screen resolution) think of what your Computer monitor max display resolution or the equivalent to what most TV's can display.

72 dpi is the screen resolution of any monitor so saving anything beyond that (pixel depth) won't get you anything extra.  Saving beyond the 2k resolution of a computer monitor size will again not get you far and will force you to post several images over several posts, and again, won't get you much extra. 

My images are JPEG format and saved at high quality.  On a scale of 1-12 about a 9. Cleanup in progress.

Ric_Cleanup_004.thumb.jpg.ac7b80c198e608fdb3c5d79a047a9335.jpg

The final result.

01_Harleyville_SC_Ric_Cleanup.jpg.ba6525b876cd8c89466a912f85877591.jpg

This may seem too time consuming for some so just scanning with a black BG (scanner top removed) will work often too.  If you don't want to spend a ridiculous amount on the software like Photoshop that I own. (Again I own an ancient version from 2004 ?) You can download and use GIMP, which has some of the same or similar features and it's FREE !

GIMP Download

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

BlackBG_Cleanup_001.jpg.e5bbd04b6e694d32b0b6051365a6d125.jpg

BlackBG_Cleanup_002.jpg.f46151b4d199c9088c05ee36b2a892ef.jpg

For fossils that are larger I've found that sun on a cloudy day works great, and using felt ... a middle grey felt would work great for black fossils because the white paper/towel background often confuses the camera light meter etc.. the middle grey or off-white won't kill the camera exposure and the felt tends to scatter or absorb the light rays so there isn't too much bounce, glare, or reflections.  The focus will often work better too. 

You could also go for one of these if you are serious.  about 40 bucks on Amazon mine works great indoors.  Xit XTPS101 Portable Photo Studio Lighting Kit (Black/White)

71OCiY5Y-AL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.1bf28f26b903af60e33e35bfa68ad008.jpg

Hope this helps ! Anytime you have any additional questions just shoot me a message.

10 hours ago, Big Bend Brian said:

Brett very very nice!! Love those angustidens! And the matrix teeth. Exceptionally cool!!

Outstanding photography too.

Thanks for posting!

Brian

Thanks Brian .. it is almost as fun documenting the finds later.

Cheers,

B

Shellseeker

Thank you Brian.  You gave me much more detailed info that I could have expected,  I will try out your suggestions and show some results,

Brett Breakin' Rocks
33 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Thank you Brian.  You gave me much more detailed info that I could have expected,  I will try out your suggestions and show some results,

Sure no worries .. you have helped me in the past with ID's advice etc .. I thought I'd return it.

Cheers,

Brett