MSirmon

Manitoba Canada

MSirmon

I am going Manitoba on a fishing trip. Are there any special Canadian laws regarding fossil collecting? Are the islands there fossiliferous? 

Pumpkinhead

It varies from province to province. I know that here in Ontario the rules are pretty laissez-faire, but I'm not sure what Manitoba is like

Kane

A simplified geo map of Manitoba.

IMG_3080.GIF

FossilDAWG

What lake/islands will you be visiting?  Some islands and shore exposures in Lake Winnipeg and Lake Winnipegosis are known for Ordovician and Devonian fossils.  Although fossils are mentioned under the Heritage Act, I have not heard of that being enforced for invertebrates.  Certainly Tyndall Stone is exported widely for building material, and it is famous for its obvious Ordovician corals, recepticulitids, and cephalopods.

Don

MSirmon
2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

What lake/islands will you be visiting?  Some islands and shore exposures in Lake Winnipeg and Lake Winnipegosis are known for Ordovician and Devonian fossils.  Although fossils are mentioned under the Heritage Act, I have not heard of that being enforced for invertebrates.  Certainly Tyndall Stone is exported widely for building material, and it is famous for its obvious Ordovician corals, recepticulitids, and cephalopods.

Don

Don,

Thanks. I will be on Elk Island at God's lake.

Regards,

Michael 

FossilDAWG

God's Lake is located on the Canadian Shield, a vast area of Precambrian metamorphic and igneous rock.  Fossiliferous Ordovician outcrops occur on the Nelson and Shamattawa rivers, 2-300 roadless miles north/northeast of God's Lake, and around southern Lakes Winnipeg and Winnipegosis, a similar distance to the southwest.  Unless you will have access to a helicopter capable of ~500 miles round trip, you should plan to enjoy the fishing.

Don

MSirmon
34 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

God's Lake is located on the Canadian Shield, a vast area of Precambrian metamorphic and igneous rock.  Fossiliferous Ordovician outcrops occur on the Nelson and Shamattawa rivers, 2-300 roadless miles north/northeast of God's Lake, and around southern Lakes Winnipeg and Winnipegosis, a similar distance to the southwest.  Unless you will have access to a helicopter capable of ~500 miles round trip, you should plan to enjoy the fishing.

Don

Thank you. I will definitely plan on fishing then.