Lower Glen Rose Canyon Lake Area Hunt

LSCHNELLE

20170401_133204-1551x1967.thumb.jpg.8ede9719d1d699665912712db79b83e6.jpgI had a few hours to hunt Lower Glen Rose in Canyon Lake, Texas area this past week. I enjoyed pleasant sunny weather and some unusual success. Nothing too rare was found. I spent 30 minutes at Leptosalenia texana zone finding the usual 3 echinoids plus a nice 20mm x 8mm pycnodont tooth (2 pics). At another site (where my first hunt yielded one crushed Pygopyrina & a few crab claws a few weeks ago), I collected one small deflated Coenholectypus sp. plus several fragments. I also found one fairy complete Pygopyrina, one Leptosalenia sp., one Parothopsis comalensis, two juvenile Hyposalenia phillipsae, and one Goniopygus sp. plus a few nice spines and echinoid parts.  See last pic. Great fossil hunting adventure. I wish they all could go that well. 

20170330_192327-721x870.jpg

20170330_192303-827x884.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Nice finds! Congratulations! 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Always a good day when you find more than six different echinoids. The Hyposalenias are probably adults. They just don't get big. Or we have never found a site with larger individuals.

Erich, thanks for the reply. You are probably right.  I was going by Bill's Thompson's book and by Smith and Rader 2009 who show juveniles having a pentagonally outlined apical disk.  These have that feature. Otherwise, I don't have a clue. These two HS are ~6 to 7 mm in diameter. 

I prepped the Parorthopsis more.  Here are the latest pics. A little fuzzy but it's a cellphone camera and a small 15mm echinoid. 

20170406_175242.jpg

20170406_175410.jpg

12 hours ago, LSCHNELLE said:

Erich, thanks for the reply. You are probably right.  I was going by Bill's Thompson's book and by Smith and Rader 2009 who show juveniles having a pentagonally outlined apical disk.  These have that feature. Otherwise, I don't have a clue. These two HS are ~6 to 7 mm in diameter. 

Looking again at the scale you are probably correct.