Found in Ocala Florida Limestone with Chert

Smmessineo

My husband and I were working on a Limestone boulder in Ocala. It had areas of chert , as well as a section of dark grey hard clay that was exposed after we broke and end off the main rock. The entire boulder had lots of bivalves, a couple of Gastropoda and echinoids. There were 4 items that I can't identify so I am including photos here. A few of them looked crystalline in nature

( drusy? ) 

Thanks for any help. 

IMG_4623.JPG

IMG_4624.JPG

IMG_4625.JPG

IMG_4626.JPG

Hi There,

Having dug around a little in that limestone I know it's chock full of cool echinoids .. those first two images look like casts of one.  Not sure if the species can be determined.  Imagine what the interior of this fellow might be like. That is what you are looking at .. the underside of his skin so to speak.

Post the image was borrowed from has been cited.

58e063d98986d_post-473-0968067001283705504.jpg.6c964f9f062789688abb5e23491bdaa5.jpg

Cheers,

B

15 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Wow,@Brett Breakin' Rocks...I never would have guessed partial echinoid cast!

Haha ... I like staring at the shapes and forms.  It's a hunch .. but it sure looks the part !  Those art degrees apparently weren't completely useless right ? :D

Cheers,

B

I agree that the first is part of an echinoid. The next fossil is a steinkern of a solitary coral. Not sure of the third fossil. The last one is a steinkern of an echinoid, looks like a sand dollar.

Archived