Dinosaur Egg?

Crisda

Hello! Everyone has probably heard someone say here and there that they have found a dinosaur egg!! Although most eggs are very rare to find and you are very lucky if you do have the pleasure of finding one. I found this along with lots of other fossils in the same area. Just curious to know if you all think it is real or just a rock that is a look alike. :) This was found in Missouri in a small town of Fairdealing. 

20170402_015113.thumb.jpg.3dd5c0eb05143c3e9dfcd0bb24f0a5e1.jpg20170402_011135.thumb.jpg.5557cfbf19500d7f8d668769ddc3232d.jpg

I'm fairly certain you are dealing with a concretion here. It does stand a better chance than most however.

It is a fascinating rock thats for sure! Even has a piece gone on the side and it looks to be something kind of bulging out of the middle.20170402_015204.thumb.jpg.2de2d92f649d970fda0b4218066fa991.jpg

Concretions form around a nucleus. Sometimes that nucleus is a fossil.

I'm not familiar with that area so you should wait for seconds on this.  Opinions that is. We're not that quick.

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you for letting me know your opinion! I really appreciate everyones information on this. :)

I'll go along with Rockwood. It appears to be a concretion, although it certainly could double as an egg at first glance. What looks like shell is probably mineral substance, but I'll leave the last word to a real expert like @Troodon

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Without question, this piece is an exfoliating, chert nodule.  Quite the egg look alike.   ;)

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Dinosaur egg or not, Im for sure adding this to the collection :) Thanks for all your opinions! :) Im sure I will find more fossils and more of these rocks when I go out again tomorrow. To bad its not a dinosaur egg my kids wanted it to hatch!! :D Now that would be historical!

Dinosaur eggs have a shell it's usually a couple of millimeters thick and fairly visible.  The shell is typically broken and some contain ornamentation or texture on the surface.  They are extremely rare and few have been found from North America . 

Example from China

1257px-Dinosaur_eggs_from_China.thumb.JPG.89d02039468af89e969443964d17cee2.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

The specimen in question is a chert nodule, as it was mentioned above by supertramp and JohnJ.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library