cleaning iron material off shark teeth

brad hinkelman

normally a little hot water does the trick,whats the best way to remove iron material and not damage the tooth.......thanks

100_5737.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

You might consider trying Lime Away, or  Barkeepers Friend.  Test a small area, or practice fossil, first. 
Good luck. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Sometimes You can chip it off with a fingernail.

If You use a chemical to clean it make sure it will not effect the tooth by testing on a broken tooth from the same formation.

• I found this Informative 3

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Just now, ynot said:

By the way--- NICE TOOTH!

thanks and I found it in the worst of conditions for how high the water was...my biggest goblin so far :)

I would just use a dental pick. Matrix generally peels off fairly nicely from tooth enamel.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

thanks fellas....I used a dental pick and just a quick rinse of lime away after testing on another tooth and hot water and came out beautiful.....thanks!

100_5742.JPG

Looks great - good job. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

number1.gif

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 1 year later...

@brad hinkelman

Hey Brad,

Just wondering, have you ever tried the Lime Away on any teeth that still have the tough encrusting formation material still stuck to them? I got a tooth that I picked most of the concretionary material off of, but I am afraid to keep picking to not damage it. Thanks a lot.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I just saw this and it had to do with iron.  Ive got a skull covered in iron and just may have to give this 'Lime Away' a try.  This forum ceases to amaze me.

RB

Very neat. I have a lot of goblin shark teeth with that iron crust on them as well. I'll have to give this a try!

On 3/13/2019 at 6:36 PM, The Jersey Devil said:

@brad hinkelman

Hey Brad,

Just wondering, have you ever tried the Lime Away on any teeth that still have the tough encrusting formation material still stuck to them? I got a tooth that I picked most of the concretionary material off of, but I am afraid to keep picking to not damage it. Thanks a lot.

I personally use the dental picks too. I would be thrilled to be corrected but I would be wary of long-term effects on the fossil from using something like Lime Away...

By the way, nice tooth Brad! I love the colors!

3 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

I personally use the dental picks too. I would be thrilled to be corrected but I would be wary of long-term effects on the fossil from using something like Lime Away...

I feel like if you use a pick it won’t completely take off thin layers of the iron plaque. But I can’t say I’ve tried a dental pick before.

I doubt there would be any long-term effects of the chemicals because after it dissolves/reacts with the iron the reaction is over. However, it could dissolve/damage some of the tooth initially if it is partially ironized itself.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

On 3/13/2019 at 6:36 PM, The Jersey Devil said:

@brad hinkelman

Hey Brad,

Hi,no I’ve only used it on this one,and I’ve never had any other that had build up on them that I couldn’t use a dental pick

3 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

I was concerned but the tooth looks great still after many months later and thanks

24 minutes ago, brad hinkelman said:

I was concerned but the tooth looks great still after many months later and thanks

Nice! It's an awesome looking tooth! Great colors

Did you lose some of the pronounced striations from using the chemicals? Possibly it is just an illusion from the different angles of the before and after photos.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

22 hours ago, Ramo said:

Did you lose some of the pronounced striations from using the chemicals? Possibly it is just an illusion from the different angles of the before and after photos.

I’m 99 % sure just the photo illusion

On 3/15/2019 at 1:14 PM, Ramo said:

Looks like it’s just the water filling in the gaps between the striations, making them look less coarse.