Early Carboniferous, Canadian Rockies

Ridgehiker

51 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

A fossil hunter's paradise. Interesting stuff! What could those starlike things be?

Its not known what they are.   Few of the fossils have been studied from these 

Carboniferous formations other than colonial rugose  corals,  conodonts and brachiopods. 

I was thinking of those star-shaped bryozoans that I saw somewhere else on TFF but they're not exactly the same, and I can't think of the name offhand.

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

I was thinking of those star-shaped bryozoans that I saw somewhere else on TFF but they're not exactly the same, and I can't think of the name offhand.

Many of the Paleozoic tabulate corals, sponges, odd  bryozoans, etc. are put into phyla almost as default holding tanks. Theres often not enough detail to classify them with any certainty. They also arent studied much because of no biostratgraphic value.

For convenience, parking the car and walking up a 30 foot slope to my local Carboniferous exposure can't be beat, but I'm jealous of the sublime setting you collect in. What beautiful views!

Beautiful pictures and great finds from high up on the slopes of Canada :)

The various fossils below would make me think these come from the upper part of the middle Mississippian.

The blastoid looks to be Pentremites pulchellus which is very common in the upper middle Mississippian in the eastern mid-continent.

The top and bottom pic shows what I would ID as Diploblastus but as you indicate is not really studied much.

The middle pic shows some elliptical stem segments (in the black circles) indicative of Platycrinites which normally indicates upper middle Mississippian, the bryozoan in the middle of the same pic looks to be Cystodictya and in the eastern mid-continent you normally see it in the lowest Gasperian but has been observed in the middle Mississippian too.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:24 PM, Canadawest said:

A layer that contained  lots of bryozoa and blastoids in matrix. Some loose blastoids of various genera. Not studied but tentatively assigned to 'Schizoblastus', ' Deltoblastus' and a few others.

IMG_6458.JPG

IMG_6460_thumb_JPG_05845330416b66d13ad984e5bc4fb501b.jpg.29039ab7e5f59a20c7d1d48d87ccd3a5.jpg

IMG_6513.JPG

Very nice coral.

The coral below looks to be Lublinophyllum ( previous classified as Caninia) and is known from the upper Mississippian in the northwestern-continental region and also occurs in the upper most Mississippian in the Tennessee Valley Region.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:17 PM, Canadawest said:

The exposed rocks before the steep cliffs are Banff Formation. Earliest Carboniferous (Tournaisian).  There are distinct layers climbing across the boulders.  The .....and Stelechophylum.

IMG_6498.JPG

On 2017-04-11 at 5:41 PM, Archimedes said:

Beautiful pictures and great finds from high up on the slopes of Canada :)

The various fossils below would make me think these come from the upper part of the middle Mississippian.

The blastoid looks to be Pentremites pulchellus which is very common in the upper middle Mississippian in the eastern mid-continent.

The top and bottom pic shows what I would ID as Diploblastus but as you indicate is not really studied much.

The middle pic shows some elliptical stem segments (in the black circles) indicative of Platycrinites which normally indicates upper middle Mississippian, the bryozoan in the middle of the same pic looks to be Cystodictya and in the eastern mid-continent you normally see it in the lowest Gasperian but has been observed in the middle Mississippian too.

Those are some good observations.  The eastern USA fauna is a distinct faunal province from that of the Lower Carboniferous of the Rockies.  

The age of the material on this trip is very earliest Carboniferous...earliest

Tournaisian. Crossover conodonts from underlying latest Devonian.  Some blastoids are tentatively described as 'Pentremites' from shape but a few differences. The only macro fauna described in detail are colonial rugose corals (I worked on the research) and brachiopods.   The earlier brach names  were similar to elsewhere  but after actually doing a detailed study then many new genera  and species of brachs assigned.  It will be the same with the crinoids, blastoids trilobites, etc.  However, these fauna groups don't have anyone studying them.