Help with Bissetky Formation Theorpod tooth ID

clarevoiyant

I searched the web and found only a reference to another thread that seem to say this was Tyrannosaurid indet but it seems to be some time back before Timurlenga was described as a species. My question is, is it possible this is timurlenga? Or does the Bissetky Tyraanosaurid sound a better fit?

P1015053small.jpg

P1015055small.jpg

P1015056small.jpg

Nice tooth! :).  

Although I'm a collector of dinosaur fossils, I have not collected anything from this part of the world.  If anyone can help us out, @Troodoncan, but don't be disappointed if your tooth can't be described down to species name.  I have many in my collection identified as Tyrannosaurid indet, as they just can't be described any further.  

In the meantime, here's a thread written by Troodon on specimens from that area.  

Here is a photo of the tooth found with the described species of Timurlengia.  Please be aware that the identification of teeth usually involves a picture of the serrations to check for shape and the number of serrations present per mm on the tooth.  I'm not sure there is enough information published about the tooth of Timurlengia to make that comparison.  

IMG_0542.thumb.PNG.7095a303fcba09284e32b3e9b22d1174.PNG

• I found this Informative 1

20 minutes ago, Susan from PA said:

Nice tooth! :).  

Although I'm a collector of dinosaur fossils, I have not collected anything from this part of the world.  If anyone can help us out, @Troodoncan, but don't be disappointed if your tooth can't be described down to species name.  I have many in my collection identified as Tyrannosaurid indet, as they just can't be described any further.  

In the meantime, here's a thread written by Troodon on specimens from that area.  

Here is a photo of the tooth found with the described species of Timerlengia.  Please be aware that the identification of teeth usually involves a picture of the serrations to check for shape and the number of serrations present per mm on the tooth.  I'm not sure there is enough information published about the tooth of Timerlengia to make that comparison.  

IMG_0542.thumb.PNG.7095a303fcba09284e32b3e9b22d1174.PNG

Thanks Susan. I've read the post before posting this actually but I don't have the experience or knowledge to actually know how to distinguish between the Alectrosaurus and Timurlenga which I seem to recall from another post is often confused by sellers. Thanks anyways and I'll wait for Troodon for his input.

Alectrosaurus was the name put on tyrannosaurid type teeth from Uzbekistan because in 1955 Nessov identified them as Alectrosaurus sp. because the teeth and bones discovered had similarities to the Mongolian species Alectrosaurus olseni.  In 2011 with additional research it was determined that their bones were different and should be identified as Tyrannosaurid indet.  The term Bissekty tyrannosaurid was coined since it's the only one from that region.   Last year with additional research and discoveries it was described into it own taxon: Timurlengia euotica.  So there is currently only one Tyrannosaurid with large compressed teeth from the Bissekty Formation Timurlengia euotica.  Unfortunately sellers are slow to change and are comfortable calling them what they have always been called, Alectrosaurus sp.   Please don't rely on sellers for identification of any material from this region. 

Let me add that the labeling on my material was done before it was described and I need to change it.

• I found this Informative 2

15 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Alectrosaurus was the name put on tyrannosaurid type teeth from Uzbekistan because in 1955 Nessov identified them as Alectrosaurus sp. because the teeth and bones discovered had similarities to the Mongolian species Alectrosaurus olseni.  In 2011 with additional research it was determined that their bones were different and should be identified as Tyrannosaurid indet.  The term Bissekty tyrannosaurid was coined since it's the only one from that region.   Last year with additional research and discoveries it was described into it own taxon: Timurlengia euotica.  So there is currently only one Tyrannosaurid with large compressed teeth from the Bissekty Formation Timurlengia euotica.  Unfortunately sellers are slow to change and are comfortable calling them what they have always been called, Alectrosaurus sp.   Please don't rely on sellers for identification of any material from this region. 

Let me add that the labeling on my material was done before it was described and I need to change it.

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I understand that renaming the taxon can lead to slow adoption rates among collectors and dealers. And yes, I won't rely on description by sellers for this region. It is just that this is my first material from the area and I have no experience with this at all so I tend to take it at face value first. Glad you could help clear the air.