2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Where is it from?

How big is it?

Don't know the location it. Was found on the back of a floor tile 

Neat find, whatever it is. :) 

@MB will have some insight on this. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, MB said:

From Turkey

:)

Fraaije, R.H.B., van Bakel, B.W.M., & Jagt, J.W.M (2010)
Exceptional preservation of Pleistocene freshwater crabs from southwest Turkey.
4th symposium on Mesozoic and Cenozoic Decapod Crustaceans: Eichstätt, Germany

IMG.jpg.4d04bb43741686eddd5708d3085cfef8.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

"
Turkish specimen

A single nearly complete, partially articulated crab (carapace 27 x 22 mm) totally coated and preserved as a three-dimensional outer cast within a straight natural cavernous cavity of a white travertine matrix. It is covered by an inorganic film of calcium carbonate (2 mm thick) (MSNM i27475) (Fig. 1). The specimen was discovered in an outcrop of the Denizli Basin (SW Turkey), well known especially for its famous white travertine terraces and falls at Pamukkale (World Heritage Site), located a few kilometers north of the town of Denizli. Here the travertine deposition has been in progress for about the last 400,000 years. As reported by Altunel & Hancock (1993) it originates from a heavy emission of hot geothermal waters that emerge at 35°-56° C, “very rich in hydrogen carbonate and calcium precipitation by calcium carbonates”. The graben is probably a Plio-Quaternary structure (Bozkurt, 2001), but the precise origin and age of these travertine formations is still debated (Vengosh et al., 2002). (...)

The formation of the cavernous travertine preceded inhabitation and fossilization of the specimen. The lack of stratigraphic data and geological analysis makes it necessary to assign the studied specimen to the Pleistocene (Late Cenozoic) in generic terms. The scaled preservation of the specimen MSNM i27475 was the consequence of high temperatures of the thermal waters present in the outcrop, with rapid calcareous deposition around the exoskeleton. The behavior of these decapods that live in excavated holes or inhabit natural cavities along or around inland freshwaters (Fig. 2) makes this occurrence possible. The disarticulation of the pereiopods and part of the body makes it is possible to suppose that the specimen may have died before fossilization process or, simply, it represents an exuvia. This kind of preservation does not allow observation of the diagnostic characters of the carapace and ornamentation. However the general outline of the subrectangular carapace, the bilobate front with large orbits, the convex anterolateral margins, the posterolateral margins converging posteriorly, the heterochely with the more strongly developed right chela, the flattened transverse section of the pereiopods and, finally, the true inland freshwater paleoenvironment, supports assignment of the specimen to Potamon Savigny, 1816 (Potamidae) as an indeterminate species. Recently Fraaije et al. (2010) also reported some specimens from the same outcrop, preliminarily identified as close to Potamon (Potamon) potamios (Olivier, 1804). Among the extant epigean freshwater crabs, Özbek & Ustaoğlu (2006) reported a complete and updated check list of Turkish inland brachyurans including nine total species all belonging to Potamidae Ortmann 1896. Within these only two are endemic taxa, Potamon bileki Pretzmann, 1971, and P. hueceste Pretzmann, 1962. " - G. Pasini, A. Garassino. 2011. Unusual scaled preservation samples on freshwater decapods (Crustacea, Decapoda) from the Pleistocene (Late Cenozoic) of Turkey and Kazakistan. Atti Soc. it. Sci. nat. Museo civ. Stor. nat. Milano, 152 (I): 13-18

58e2d68d7ff6e_fig.1.thumb.jpg.b48e858aa1bb1453c4f3c978394665f8.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Sweet! Thanks to everyone for their replies and all the help I knew you just don't see these vary often and it was a cool find I guess you never know when you might find a cool fossil. Or were you might find one. ;)

So what's the story?  How did you happen to discover this fossil?  Flipping through floor tiles at Home Depot?

Don

21 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

So what's the story?  How did you happen to discover this fossil?  Flipping through floor tiles at Home Depot?

Don

Funny story! it happened to be discovered by a new friend of mine we started talking about hobbies cooking ex... And how I prep fossils such as crab and he told me he had one but he didn't know what or were it was from. I asked were he found it and he said on the back of a tile I  said on way I have to see it he went digging thru some boxes and came out with it. I told him I've never seen anything like it and I may know some people (mb),(RJB) that would probable know. Thing is he said he would find all kinds of fossils on tile leaves ferns and plants but this was the only crab he had found. Guess I should start hunting fossils at Home Depot LOL

Archived