How to preserve shells in compacted sand

Marcus Rosado

Hello,

I am so happy I found this forum, I am a very amature fossil hunter.  Yesterday I stumbled across the Purisma formation in Capitola, due to the crazy weather we had this year, quite a bit of the cliff has been eroded away.  It has uncovered quite a bit of material.  I was able to get a decent sized chunk full of intact shells.  Does anybody have a good way to preserve, meaning keeping the very delicate shells in place and surrounding compacted sand?  Thank you in advance for your assistance.

IMG_5171.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to TFF!

Nice find.

Usually that stuff is fairly stable. You should not need to stabilize it, but if You do want to stabilize it You can use super glue (thin).

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I agree with Tony, either keep it on a shelf or in a drawer where you're not going to touch it, or, if you feel you definitely need to stabilize it, use something thin like super glue/crazy glue that will soak in and not leave a glossy coat or blobs of glue dripping down on the underside.

I take it this one is photo'd partly wet? I have some Pleistocene pieces similar to yours (not as good! but similar, compacted sand), I added PaleoBond (super glue) to consolidate the matrix and the light grey sand turned to almost black, as if either damp or made of a much darker sand than it is, but at least it isn't glossy/shiny.

Hey all, that's my favorite fossil site and if I had to guess based on the thousands of concretions I've seen and the hundreds I've collected over the past 15 years, this is a cemented block of sandstone; the cemented parts dry out faster and the damp spots are likely unconsolidated sandstone. After complete drying, consolidation with a bit of vinac glue would harden the matrix. I've got several blocks with beautiful mollusks from that locality (and the same horizon) where I preserved the unconsolidated matrix like that, and ten years later they still look OK.

• 3 months later...

Awesome! I just came back from Calvert Cliffs with wet sandstone matrix that just falls apart as it dries. I may have to spray this until the Paleobond gets here, but thanks for the suggestions!

IMG_2772.thumb.jpg.482b84b687283b2bcb64a6f3fb8bc0b9.jpg

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

You will want to rinse or soak in fresh water a few times to remove any and all salt traces first.   Salt can do a real number on whatever glue/s you use over time.  I would also NOT use super glue, Cianoacrylate.   Use Vinac like Bobby suggested.  I used to use a plumber flux brush for applying the glue.   Good luck

RB