gold plating of shark teeth info?

brad hinkelman

It may be a weird request...........but a few weeks ago I found a rather nice shark tooth ,water was high, in a stream during a snow storm with 6 inches snow on the ground and very cold (didn't think i would find anything) and on this day my father had passed away,although fairly new to fossil hunting I always shared my journies with him and I'm trying to find somewhere I can send it to have gold plated in his memory as I cant find any info local.........does anyone know?   thanks

I would talk to a local jeweler. 
My condolences on the loss of your Father. :( 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Sorry for your loss Brad. Have you given any thought to gold wirewrapping instead? I myself have never been a fan of gold or silver platted sharkteeth. But I have purchased some really nice 14k gold wire wrapped otodus teeth from Franko's wirewrapping.  It shows off more of the tooth this way and he does really good work he also did a nice Herkimer Diamond for me that I gave as a gift.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I do industrial plating for a living and can tell you darn near anything can be plated.

It is all a matter of pre treatment.

It needs to be protected from the harsh chemistry that it must be submerged in.

Obscure objects like baby shoes have been plated for a long time. A tooth is not that much different.

The specimen must be coated in a protective shielding of polymers prior to any dwell in the acids.

Were you looking into silver or gold plate?

I can give you some information in a PM if you are still interested.

I warn you it is quite expensive sliver or gold.

Jess B.

Archived