A little Ordovician collecting at St. Leon and Lawrenceburg, Indiana Roadcuts

Nimravis

To begin with I am not an Ordovician collector, but after seeing recent posts from other FF members, I decided to stop at the St. Leon and Lawrenceburg road cuts in Southern Indiana as I was making my way to North Carolina. I will post picks without specific ids, I know I have bryozoans, brachiopods, horn corals- but no trilobites. I did find 3 things that look to me to be possible Cephalopods, but could be mistaken. I also found 1 other item that I have no clue to its I'd. Any help with these last 4 items would be appreciated.

IMG_1121.thumb.JPG.5c2bb809fb493954fc2b4e5a795da41d.JPG

Cephalopods ???

IMG_1236.thumb.PNG.d35387f9ed2f6d4d6be94fab8112584d.PNG

IMG_1238.thumb.PNG.8d019ae56b54b5ebe1d905e9fa096715.PNG

IMG_1240.thumb.PNG.5f94ea7ba592da3988b1159f53a4826f.PNG

Also unknown to me-

IMG_1230.thumb.PNG.7e27f50ce4655f8d61190fd15c4f786c.PNG

IMG_1233.thumb.PNG.fc80bf2bbcf29627339b833e1b909999.PNG

All of of the above items were found at St. Leon.

Sorry for the 1 pic post on this set, i am not able to reduce, even using screen shots.

Aby idea on this- looks like a Trail, but I do not feel confident.

IMG_1262.thumb.PNG.29a1031860b30af9c84ac0ba6319b1e4.PNG

Arent those interesting places. I stop at them also on my way north to Mich to visit my daughter. I always find something intriguing, and the Ponderosa brachiapods are really cool to find, so large. Wonderful pieces, and the unknowns are always intriguing...have never seen anything even resembling some kind of cephalepod there...hope you find out what it may be...burrow? 

I think all of the specimens identified as "cephalopods?" should be labeled "cephalopods!".  The first one is mostly the living chamber, but at least one cameral chamber can be seen at the top.  Also the little squiggly burrows are characteristically formed as "worms" (or whatever the maker was) burrowed against a hard surface, in this case the mud-filled shell before the shell dissolved away.  You would not find these trace fossils inside a "burrow".  The other two specimens show several camerae, especially the third one, and the middle (second) specimen has a bryozoan growing on its surface.

Don

15 hours ago, Nimravis said:

IMG_1259.thumb.PNG.981df638ee56ab9956a00b7cd9e8c4c3.PNG

I absolutely adore this crinoid hash. If I were to go with patterned wallpaper, it would be this. Nice find! ... Well, one nice find among many nice finds! :fistbump:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

I think all of the specimens identified as "cephalopods?" should be labeled "cephalopods!".  The first one is mostly the living chamber, but at least one cameral chamber can be seen at the top.  Also the little squiggly burrows are characteristically formed as "worms" (or whatever the maker was) burrowed against a hard surface, in this case the mud-filled shell before the shell dissolved away.  You would not find these trace fossils inside a "burrow".  The other two specimens show several camerae, especially the third one, and the middle (second) specimen has a bryozoan growing on its surface.

Don

Don,

Thanks for the ids- it was fun collecting there.

Nice finds!  That's a nice big Rafinesquina ponderosa (second pic in second post). It can be hard to get loose ones like yours that aren't broken.

The Platystrophia  (4th pic in 2nd post) is nice, too.  They aren't nearly as common at that site as they are at many other Cincinnatian sites.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks for sharing- looks like St. Leon was the place to be last week!

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:41 PM, Nimravis said:

IMG_1259.thumb.PNG.981df638ee56ab9956a00b7cd9e8c4c3.PNG

Yep, I too love this plate.  It's beautiful!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Archived