Advice on preparing a Trimerorhachis Skull

mattman10

Hi guys, I'm looking for a little advice on preparing a big block of matrix containing at least two trimerorhachis skulls and other bone material.  I'm completely new to fossil preparation and I've never attempted anything like this before, but I purchased this a number of years ago and it's been sitting in a box ever since - the idea of starting it has been too daunting until now.

I really have no idea where to begin, so I was hoping for some tips on how to go about this.  It's a very sold block of matrix, and I doubt I'd get very far with simple hand tools such as a scalpel.  I've heard acid prep is used for some of these Permian fossils and wonder if this might be the way to go.  If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated :)

IMG_0924.JPG

Wow. I'm not sure I would attempt to prep it, especially if it is your first ever prep job. :unsure:

I've done a bit of prepping, but I wouldn't even try to tackle this one, myself.

It might be worth the money to have it professionally prepped. 

Is the matrix hard or crumbly? Can it be affected by a dental pick? 

The answer might affect my outlook on this, but if it is a hard matrix, like limestone/dolostone, I'd forego it, and leave it with a pro. 

Wait for some other opinions though. 

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for the reply Fossildude19.  Honestly, the idea of tackling it myself fills me with dread.  The matrix is solid and can't be tackled with a dental pick.  I'm sure anything short of acid prep would ruin these fossils - the bones just seem too small and delicate to be removed with hand tools from such a hard matrix.

That said, I have no idea who to turn to to prep such a piece in the UK, or how much it might cost.  I'm sure there are some pretty awesome fossils within this block.  There's definitely a nice portion of trimerorhachis skull on the surface, and several other complete (or near complete) jaws.

i would start with knowing the osteology of the taxon involved.Sounds the most logical.

I expect to be hit over the head for this,because I don't know the first hing about prepping:P

I agree with Tim.. this is advanced prep work and I would keep on shying away from making it your first project.  Who is the guy in the UK who acid preps the little dinosaur eggs with fetuses from Argentina?  He is your man.   There are actually very few people, even in the academic/museum community who do much acid prep work.  

Good luck.   

• I found this Informative 4

For acid prep you need to coat all bones with paraloid or cyanoacrylate then put in a 10-15% acetic acid wash. Then put the whole thing in an ammonia wash. Then repeat the whole process, including coating the bones, until desired results are achieved. I also believe this could be prepped with air abrasive. This would be a poor choice for a first prep with hand tools. Terry Manning in England is the world's best acid prepper, but I think the cost would far exceed the value of the fossil.

• I found this Informative 4

+1 on what @steelhead9 said with the addition of timeframe. To do a proper acid prep on something like this you're talking about 6-9 months of acid soak, neutralize, rinse, dry, coat exposed bones, repeat. I prefer a lower concentration personally, around 5% acetic acid.

This is definitely not a first time prep. It is very advanced stuff. I've been prepping fossils for 20 years and I would be nervous on this one. At this point in my prepper's life I would do it but I'd be nervous about it. :P

• I found this Informative 1

Wow!  Looks a like a tuff prep job for sure!  I don't mean to scare you, but like these other guys say, let a pro attack it.  Good luck

RB

• 3 years later...

It's been a few years, but were you ever able to prep or find someone to prep this? I would be very interested to see results (if any). 

1 hour ago, AlexMcCarthyWX said:

It's been a few years, but were you ever able to prep or find someone to prep this? I would be very interested to see results (if any). 

OP hasn't been on since last year.  :( 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me