Scout

Where to take my son fossil hunting?

Scout

I just found the site. I collected as a child but don't know where. I now have a son that is extremely interested in fossils and dinosaurs and want to take him to find fossils the way I did.

Can anyone tell me a place where we can legally hunt for them? (In or around Louisville area) 

I'm open to a guide, if you don't mind being asked every question his inquisitive mind has. I want to share my memory while encouraging his passion. 

Thank you for any and all help. It's greatly appreciated. 

Fossildude19

Welcome to the Forum. :) 
We have a few members in that area that may be able to chime in and help out.   @Herb

Also, consider joining a rock/fossil/mineral club in the area. 

They teach you lots, and sometimes go on trips to places inaccessible to individuals. :) 

Best of luck to you. 
Regards,

Darktooth

Welcome to the forum from New York!

Herb

Welcome, if you PM me later I can either show you some sites or give you directions to  places in the Louisville area

Scout

Thank you, I sent you a pm. Making sure I let you know in case you didn't get it and I sent it to the wrong place. 

Many thanks for all your help!! 

Oliscada

Hello Herb

My daughter is studying to be a paleontologist and we are heading to TN on March 11 to visit a friend of mine and we are coming from WV. We were wanting to maybe stop to look for fossils on the way maybe in creeks or other areas do you happen to have any suggestions?

Thanks

Oliscada

@Herb

Herb

Hi, Oliscada, what route will you be takng

Oliscada

This is some of the route I’m not good on explaining roads. So I sent a picture 

Thanks

Carol

18299192-D3EB-4908-957D-D575F7F34FD8.png

Aeis

My 7 year old loves fossils and we'll be traveling from southern IL through the area along I64 through Louisville in a few weeks to visit the Ark Encounter in Williamsville.  Is there any place along the way to take him fossil hunting?  Last summer we visited Caspersen Beach FL to find fossilized shark's teeth and he loved it, and I think he'd be even more interested to find some of these types of fossils.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.