Leaves And Shells

Ramo

I collect primarily verts, but I have these leaf imprints in Dakota sandstone, and some various snail shells from a Cretaceous limestone rock I acquired a while back and I was wondering if any of you could ID them for me. I could get better photos if necessary.

post-40-1201658673_thumb.jpg

post-40-1201658717_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Thanks X-Fish,

I have that book, but it's been a while since I read it, and it's not much for photos. I remember in it that Sternberg (Dr. George Sternberg that is) sent a bunch of leaf fossils to Washington (I think), and years later found they were in a museum (Smithsonian?), but he didn't receive credit for them, because his name got lost along the way.

Are there different species of sassafras, or just one? (I have to admit I'm ignorant on plants and inverts.)

post-40-1201667125_thumb.jpg

-Aldo Leopold

Different lighting in this photo

-Aldo Leopold

Guest solius symbiosus
Bowkill -

The smaller rock contains a Sassafras leaf (Life of a Fossilhunter - Sternberg)

It sure does. I have never seen a fossil of one, but I have pulled many roots while camping to make tea.

Well,in the first picture, there are two inverts.The tower shaped snails, look very much as a Cerithium member, that is common since Jurassic in USA, until now. (according to National Audubon Society´s Fossil Guide to Fossils of North America).And the other, oyster like fossil could be: ExogyraorIlymatogyraboth of them named in the book.Nice Fossil leaves!!!