Dinosaur Claw

Pterosaur

Hi everyone,

I found this claw in the Hell Creek formation of Montana. Any idea what it might have come from? Not sure if the tip is broken off, worn off or just naturally short. 

Thanks very much!

Lauren

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

"I am a part of all that I have met." - Lord Alfred Tennyson

Hi Lauren

Looks like the claw from a theropod.  It's pretty water worn.  The tip was quite a bit longer and broke off at some point.  Not a lot diagnostic to really determine from what dinosaur other than it looks pretty straight and thin so I would lean toward a hand claw.

Question:

Is this a bump on the dorsal side?  IMG_0265.JPG.a55223b5a17924466c39ee2cfc92a3a9.thumb.jpg.290c9c8d8d0b40c6ee4cbd8fceea2d9d.jpg

53 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Hi Lauren

Looks like the claw from a theropod.  It's pretty water worn.  The tip was quite a bit longer and broke off at some point.  Not a lot diagnostic to really determine from what dinosaur other than it looks pretty straight and thin so I would lean toward a hand claw.

Question:

Is this a bump on the dorsal side? 

IMG_0265.JPG.a55223b5a17924466c39ee2cfc92a3a9.thumb.jpg.290c9c8d8d0b40c6ee4cbd8fceea2d9d.jpg

Wow that's pretty exciting. 

Yes it's interesting that you noticed that because I did not until just now. There is a subtle bump there that is visible on both sides of the claw but more so on the side you indicated. 

Would that indicate a particular dinosaur? Aren't raptors the only dinosaurs in that area with claws like this?

Thanks again for your help!

IMG_0271.JPG

The one on the bottom is called tubercle and typical of theropod claws not just raptors.  The bump on the dorsal side is not typical but a lip exists on Caenagnathids like Anzu wyliei.  Can you take a picture of the dorsal side above that bump and of the articulation surface.

18 minutes ago, Troodon said:

The one on the bottom is called tubercle and typical of theropod claws not just raptors.  The bump on the dorsal side is not typical but a lip exists on Caenagnathids like Anzu wyliei.  Can you take a picture of the dorsal side above that bump and of the articulation surface.

The tubercle indicates the slashing power of the animal right? The bigger it is the more powerful? Or is that a different process. 

I left my house, but will take a picture as soon as I get back. This is really interesting. I've included another pic. I know it's not what you need but it's just a closer image with the contrast upped for clarity. 

IMG_0281.PNG

There are a lot of factors that determine slashing power and I'm certainly not an expert in this area.  Here is an illustration of an Allosaurus hand claw.  Lots of tendons and ligaments to provide the action.  I've got to believe it also depends if it's a hand or digit II foot claw (leg or arm) that is providing the action.

dino_allo_hand_claw_diagram_GASTON.jpg.c7cf2c10e7cfe7e60b60e671e2591278.jpg

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

There are a lot of factors that determine slashing power and I'm certainly not an expert in this area.  Here is an illustration of an Allosaurus hand claw.  Lots of tendons and ligaments to provide the action.  I've got to believe it also depends if it's a hand or digit II foot claw (leg or arm) that is providing the action.

dino_allo_hand_claw_diagram_GASTON.jpg.c7cf2c10e7cfe7e60b60e671e2591278.jpg

Ohhhh. So based on the very helpful picture you provided, the bump on the top of my claw could potentially tell us if the claw had the ability to lift itself as opposed to just flexing downward?

And based on what you said about Caenagnathids only having this trait would that mean they were the only species who could lift their claws? Or they were able to lift them with more strength than other dinosaurs? Am I putting this together correctly? 

Sorry for all the questions! Just very interested and you really know a lot!

I'm still working on that photo by the way. Just not home yet. 

No Caenagnathids just have a lip as part of the articulation the dorsal edge and trying to determine if  that bumb is that or something else.  May get is nowhere as nothing to do with strength or lifting.

download.jpg.aa93a6836ac44ddf3276a61d19e13686.jpg

On 4/5/2017 at 8:24 PM, Troodon said:

No Caenagnathids just have a lip as part of the articulation the dorsal edge and trying to determine if  that bumb is that or something else.  May get is nowhere as nothing to do with strength or lifting.

download.jpg.aa93a6836ac44ddf3276a61d19e13686.jpg

Okay I apologize that this took me so long. Here is the view I think you're looking for, Frank. If I misunderstood just let me know! :) thanks again for your help! 

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0344.PNG

Thanks, cannot say for sure it's pretty weathered, I was hoping to see more.  Well you do have a theropod claw from the Hell Creek

57 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Thanks, cannot say for sure it's pretty weathered, I was hoping to see more.  Well you do have a theropod claw from the Hell Creek

That's still very exciting! :D 

Archived