Calvert vert with gouge?

Ropterus

Today I made a trip down to the cliffs. Water was higher than expected and didn't find as much as I had hoped, but did manage to find this nice sized vert. It has a deep gouge running down the entire length of it.  Was this caused by predation?  The vert is approximately 3 1/2" wide and 3" long. There is another gouge not far away from the biggest one, but it is hard to see because that part of the vert is broken. On the 3rd pic it starts at the top center of the vert. Sorry if pics aren't clear. Camera phone is all I have. Thanks for looking and I appreciate your input!

20170405_171805_crop_583x583.jpg

20170405_171859_crop_761x587.jpg

20170405_171948_crop_580x738.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tough call. I would say the chances are good that this could be a case of predation. 

1. Nonsymmetrical 

2. It bows like a slashing motion

3. It looks to be water worn and rounded on the edges as you would expect.

4. There are no other cracks present near the "gouge".

........buuuutt, how deep is it?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

12 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

I'm no expert but I don't think predation. It looks too sharp to me and I would expect several marks.  

I know the pic is bad and I will try to get a few better ones, but there is a second mark in the bottom pic that goes the opposite direction of the one in the first pic. It's hard to see because it is right where a process would have been and has broken off.

11 hours ago, fossilized6s said:

Tough call. I would say the chances are good that this could be a case of predation. 

1. Nonsymmetrical 

2. It bows like a slashing motion

3. It looks to be water worn and rounded on the edges as you would expect.

4. There are no other cracks present near the "gouge".

........buuuutt, how deep is it?

If looking at the 2nd pic, on the right of the vert, where the gouge starts, it is about 1/4" deep. At the other end of it I would say maybe an 1/8" deep. The other gouge does not appear to be as deep but again, looks as though it went through a process.

10 hours ago, Past Hunter said:

Some bite damage pictures:

Thank you for the links! The bite mark on the one picture of the rib bone looks similar to mine.

Should this not be predation, any idea as to what may have caused the gouges? I am fairly new to this so I have lots to learn! Thank you all for your input!

Scott

You have to consider the millions of years it sat there. Even to fossilize something usually there is rapid burial involved which can be a violent process in itself. Considering the fact that this wasn't associated with any other bones of this creature this vert was probably rolling around quite a bit. It could have picked up gouges from anything along the way. That being said, i personally am leaning towards predation, but I'm not an expert. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Archived