Any proper "scientific" way of labeling specimens?

Got Bones?

Is there any way of professionally labeling specimens out in the field? I'm creating a field journal documenting all of my finds, whether archeological or paleontological, and Id like to hear some methods of proper labeling of my finds. Usually I wrap the specimens I store with cheesecloth or even paper towels, cushioned with cotton, then I would label a specimen like the example below:

species: paralejuris (Trilobite)

date found: June 5, 2006

last opened: 6/8/6

:hammer01::mammoth::trex: Troy Niler, amateur fossil & mineral/artifact collector:meg::bone::trilo:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no proper scientific way to label field specimen.  The key is to have some sort of system that relates to your field notes.   I use the date followed by a -1, -2 , -3 for field jackets.  These jacket labels can then be looked up in the field notes, which inlcudes a lot more info.  But I also put things like what is in the jacket on the jacket, and often its orientation.  But that is all for plaster jackets.  For loose specimens I just use the locality number and the date.  Again, the locality number refers to my field notes.  

• I found this Informative 1

9 minutes ago, jpc said:

There is no proper scientific way to label field specimen.  The key is to have some sort of system that relates to your field notes.   I use the date followed by a -1, -2 , -3 for field jackets.  These jacket labels can then be looked up in the field notes, which inlcudes a lot more info.  But I also put things like what is in the jacket on the jacket, and often its orientation.  But that is all for plaster jackets.  For loose specimens I just use the locality number and the date.  Again, the locality number refers to my field notes.  

Thanks for the information!

:hammer01::mammoth::trex: Troy Niler, amateur fossil & mineral/artifact collector:meg::bone::trilo:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

58 minutes ago, Troy Niler said:

Is there any way of professionally labeling specimens out in the field? I'm creating a field journal documenting all of my finds, whether archeological or paleontological, and Id like to hear some methods of proper labeling of my finds. Usually I wrap the specimens I store with cheesecloth or even paper towels, cushioned with cotton, then I would label a specimen like the example below:

species: paralejuris (Trilobite)

date found: June 5, 2006

last opened: 6/8/6

What's also important in addition to your example is the strata it was found in so it's important to add the Formation it was found in.  I also like to add the age.   Use whatever format your comfortable with just be consistant.

6 minutes ago, Troodon said:

What's also important in addition to your example is the strata it was found in so it's important to add the Formation it was found in.  I also like to add the age.   Use whatever format your comfortable with just be consistant.

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind! I prefer the font times new roman for my labels...

What does "last opened" refer to?

The #1 thing to record is locality data, the more specific the better.  If you do not know the geological strata at the site, take photos or make a good sketch map and record the layer the fossils came from if you know that.

If you have good locality data, you can figure out the geological source and age.  You may or may not get around to a really solid identification until much later, but you can do that any time.  Once you have lost track of locality data it is gone forever and the fossil is now just an interesting looking rock devoid of scientific value.

Don

• I found this Informative 3

10 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

What does "last opened" refer to?

The #1 thing to record is locality data, the more specific the better.  If you do not know the geological strata at the site, take photos or make a good sketch map and record the layer the fossils came from if you know that.

If you have good locality data, you can figure out the geological source and age.  You may or may not get around to a really solid identification until much later, but you can do that any time.  Once you have lost track of locality data it is gone forever and the fossil is now just an interesting looking rock devoid of scientific value.

Don

Thanks for the information! Ill be sure to keep that in mind! (By the way, I refer "last opened" as the last time I wrapped it up, or examined it).

Location, Location, Location.

Combined with good descriptions of the strata it came out of and adjacent to it.  

As said before all else can follow later.