Sharktooth from Balegem

Max-fossils

Hi all,

Here another sharktooth, from Balegem, Belgium. From the Lutetian stage of the early Eocene (approx 45 mya).

What's the species?

Have a nice weekend,

Max

IMG_0212.thumb.JPG.314b04476aa3b1d6921f88c15a5c3d37.JPG

Closeups side 1:

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

IMG_0057.thumb.JPG.c95ce0d6444f5d7fe62ed6493acfd80d.JPG

Closeups side 2:

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

IMG_0054.JPG

Max Derème

No one???

Max Derème

Hi Max!

Now, you know I know pretty much nothing about shark teeth, but the shape of this one (two cusplets, curved root) reminds me of the Otodus obliquus teeth that I've seen coming from Morocco - could it be an Otodus species?

I hope that all is well in the Netherlands!

Monica

• I found this Informative 1

I'm definitely not an expert on this, but it looks to me like a Brachycarcharias lerichei or a Striatolamia macrota (I find the difference hard to tell with worn teeth ;)). Don't think this is an Otodus species, as the only Otodus teeth being found there are Otodus auriculatus :) 

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Monica said:

Hi Max!

Now, you know I know pretty much nothing about shark teeth, but the shape of this one (two cusplets, curved root) reminds me of the Otodus obliquus teeth that I've seen coming from Morocco - could it be an Otodus species?

I hope that all is well in the Netherlands!

Monica

56 minutes ago, Angie said:

I'm definitely not an expert on this, but it looks to me like a Brachycarcharias lerichei or a Striatolamia macrota (I find the difference hard to tell with worn teeth ;)). Don't think this is an Otodus species, as the only Otodus teeth being found there are Otodus auriculatus :) 

Angie is right, Otodus is not an option, because the only possibility O. auriculatus is not a good match. In my opinion Brachycarcharias lerichei seems like a decent match for this one.

Otherwise, yes, all is going fine here in the flat lands! How about Canada?

Best regards,

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

Hi again, Max!

Things over here are pretty great!  We had a bit of snow yesterday, but it's sunny and fairly warm today so no complaints from me (except for the fact that I have to do a ton of marking this weekend because my midterm report cards are due on Monday morning!!!).  I'm also excited because with the warmer weather comes fossil-hunting!  Viola and I are venturing further afield later this month to Hungry Hollow, and then across the border to Penn Dixie next month - needless to say, we're both SO excited to find some new specimens - perhaps a trilobite or two...? (fingers crossed!)

Take care,

Monica

On 4/8/2017 at 10:42 PM, Monica said:

Hi again, Max!

Things over here are pretty great!  We had a bit of snow yesterday, but it's sunny and fairly warm today so no complaints from me (except for the fact that I have to do a ton of marking this weekend because my midterm report cards are due on Monday morning!!!).  I'm also excited because with the warmer weather comes fossil-hunting!  Viola and I are venturing further afield later this month to Hungry Hollow, and then across the border to Penn Dixie next month - needless to say, we're both SO excited to find some new specimens - perhaps a trilobite or two...? (fingers crossed!)

Take care,

Monica

Ooh, seems like good times are ahead! Good luck in the hunting!

Max Derème