Galveston Finds From This Weekend

silverphoenix

I took a trip to the beach this weekend to beat this unbearable heat. I brought back some teeth from my many battles with the waves there.

First pic is of the teeth from this weekend (24), then of my entire galveston shark tooth collection, and then of an huge black drum I caught this weekend with my boot for scale

P1000803.jpg

P1000804.jpg

P1000789.jpg

Imagine how many teeth you could find if you used a strainer instead of tweezers! :P

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Are you getting those in the surf? I assume on a part of the island where the sand is still natural. I've only found a couple there over the years. Probably going there on Friday for fishing. Wouldn't mind finding a tooth or two.

I'm curious about that too. I've had a couple of people tell me that you have to watch for the teeth tumbling in the surf. Mike, good luck with the fishing. Let us know how it goes. :)

We have found them tumbling, areas where all the shells get washed together, walking where the tide has come in and then gone back out, heck even found some standing there talking with folks on what we were looking for.

haha I did eat the drum the next day--and it was delicious! :D

Well the teeth are mostly found in the surf because the shell beds are rarely exposed except at really, really low tides. I've found teeth in the surfce and on the beach as well when the tide was down enough. You just have to have a Very quick eye because by the time you recognized a tooth, there's a wave that'll rush by trying to take it from you...and 50% of the time it does :faint:

That's how I found the few that I have. Looked for shell debris piles when the tide was going out. Got lucky. Wait, there's another one! Dang wave!

We are going to try a small aquarium net this year on the tide and see how well that works.

You are right on being fast on the waves the teeth appear and disappear very quickly.

I have only found 2 since IKE massed up all my best places. From 61st east lots of sand has been dumped. At 8 mile road my best place lot of sand moved around shell beds gone way west not a lot done to beach and a lot of the regular hunters are saying that they are still finding good teeth. By regular I mean the 5 or 6 retired people who hunt teeth 200 days a year. Both the teeth I found came from the east end flats were lots of bones and other stuff is showing up. I got a strainer with 1/4 in holes I think I will try. Mike if you fish at the seawall try around the rock piers stuff gets traped on the inshore side, I have found a few teeth and fossil bones there. Mike let me know were you are going will try to get by. Will be back in town late Friday I hope.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

I have only found 2 since IKE massed up all my best places. From 61st east lots of sand has been dumped. At 8 mile road my best place lot of sand moved around shell beds gone way west not a lot done to beach and a lot of the regular hunters are saying that they are still finding good teeth. By regular I mean the 5 or 6 retired people who hunt teeth 200 days a year. Both the teeth I found came from the east end flats were lots of bones and other stuff is showing up. I got a strainer with 1/4 in holes I think I will try. Mike if you fish at the seawall try around the rock piers stuff gets traped on the inshore side, I have found a few teeth and fossil bones there. Mike let me know were you are going will try to get by. Will be back in town late Friday I hope.

Didn't see any of the shell or debris beds that used to be there, but we were only in one spot. Looked around a little with no luck. A lot of new sand, rocks, etc. being hauled in. I left you a PM.

Mike that aquarium net idea of racevw sounds good if you got kids coming with you, might be worth getting a couple.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

We are going to try a small aquarium net this year on the tide and see how well that works.

You are right on being fast on the waves the teeth appear and disappear very quickly.

Could you shoot a video of that? :D

Could you shoot a video of that?

:rofl::rofl::rofl: