Fossil-Hound

I have found a few well preserved Ecphora Gardenrae around Calvert Cliffs, Maryland but nothing substantial. I also managed to find some large pieces of Ecphora so I decided to purchase the following large Ecphora Gardenrae, the state fossil of Maryland, from a dealer that is local (Virginia). This was found from the St. James river and is from the Miocene. The second to largest was found along Calvert Cliffs, Maryland and the smallest is also from Calvert Cliffs. Beautiful specimens. Both of the purchased shells are from sites that are now off limits to collecting. Sadly a lot of good sites are now closed.

IMG_5621.JPG

IMG_5622.JPG

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

jsnrice,

If you make it anywhere near Williamsburg, VA, on a weekend, let me know ahead of time. We can work something out to get you on the James River to my wife's favorite Ecphora collecting spots. Her record is 5 whole and 3 mostly hole in 1 day. She has quite a few (>50) of various sizes in her collecting including 1 the size of a grapefruit. She swears "they call to" her.

Also, some nice makos and megs have been found along there.

Cheers,

SA2

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

@SailingAlongToo what an honor! :blush: You are so nice. I would be absolutely thrilled to peruse the banks of the James river with you and the missus. Would you be up for April 29? I don't have any hip waiters but I do have boots that go up to my knees. Do I need hip waiters?

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

• 1 year later...

Calvert cliffs is wonderful for finding ecphora. Unfortunately the best area's for these shells are a bit more private access.  

IMG_20180803_140344.jpg