westcoast

A recent post from joshyoowy reminded me of something I found a few years ago. It is about 20cm (7 3/4 inches) across. Carboniferous (Visean). Looking forward to your input.

2017-04-08 07.34.12.png

Maybe Straparollus type gastropod, or possibly nautiloid? Pity there's no obvious detail of shell walls in the middle.

Tarquin

Thanks for the Straparollus suggestion it's a better fit than my initial thoughts which were ammonoid. 

For us to get a better idea of what it could be, you need to include where it was found.

But for now I agree with @TqB with the gastropod Straparollus (which actually does kinda look like an ammonoid, so your initial guess wasn't bad at all!).

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Straparollus pentangulatus has been recorded from similar aged rocks in Ireland where this specimen was found, so given the quality of preservation I am happy to go with that. My only residual doubt is if straparollus has a flatter base profile, i can't find a good cross sectional profile for comparison. Thanks.

I'm wondering how large could be an euomphalid?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

5 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I'm wondering how large could be an euomphalid?

Good point! They are small but I did find an online non peer reviewed reference to straparollus 'the size of dinner plates' from Mooney Falls Redwall Arizona...

I think you are referring to Schur's Web Portal .

Indeed, Chris Schur, in the Photo Pictorials of Sedimentary Geologic Formations/Redwall Limestone said : " North of Payson on Highway 87 near the landfill we find large amounts of Mooney Falls member Redwall. Here, my wife Dawn is collecting in the oolitic member present here, which was jam packed full of huge straparollus gastropods. A very important key to realize about the oolitic facies, is that nearly always in our experience they are prime sources for large and varied gastropods. We feel that the possibility exists that the oolites formed around gastropod excrement, at least in areas on the Mogollon Rim.
Near the same locality as above, I am examining a brown chunk of oolitic limestone. We found Straparollus gastropods the size of dinner plates at this site! The oolitic limestones are usually thin bedded, and cover small areas. "

Also, in Chris Schur. 1995.Transitional Lithology and Paleofauna for the Escabrosa and Redwall Limestone Contact in Central Arizona. Proceedings of the fossils of Arizona Symposium. Mesa Southwest Museum Bulletin No. 3 -  he mentioned the size of Straparollus impressions:

Straparollus.jpg.03d997dfc2b43cdabbd3a8a38eda0500.jpg

Here's an image of gastropods from the Redwall Limestone

digitalcollections_lib.washington_edu.jpeg.528490ba9fcc8b564a21fac8ad682a6f.jpeg

So, some of them could be large.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived