Kem Kem bone fragments

Aurelius

A couple of days ago I bought a couple of dozen pieces of random Kem Kem material (I suppose you'd call it the junk that couldn't be sold individually). I know that Kem Kem is a bit mysterious, and that it can be difficult or impossible to identify random bits of bone even to the type of bone, let alone the specific animal.

But what that said, that's exactly what I'm hoping someone can do :)

I could identify quite a lot of the pieces, such as sawfish teeth, a piece of shark fin spine, and some fish verts. But most of it is just a mystery. Can anyone help with these bits?

This first bone is hollow. Does this mean anything, in this context?

P2510244.thumb.jpg.9a01f527c1a328fae02be6a1c8e2d425.jpg

P2510247.jpg.34f2d4f6d7679b931e55bcb6422b6d07.jpg

The second has a characteristic shape, and I was wondering if that meant it could be narrowed down to the type of bone?

P2510249.thumb.jpg.fb0ec78f0d2be530011d06f95a334b89.jpg

P2510250.thumb.jpg.e25c43694a5a653e71f994af5e076f6f.jpg

The third is just a very robust bone. I don't know if anything can be gleamed from it.

P2510253.thumb.jpg.956a84aaffb2dab29bd08fc918933216.jpg

P2510254.thumb.jpg.d9765860bf569570699bf9f5b36bc740.jpg

Finally, this looks like some sort of scale. Fish?

P2510251.thumb.jpg.c06e3526396188b792799db332c58be3.jpg

Thanks very much in advance.

A bit to fragmented to see anything diagnostic about your bones.  Your first bone being hollow and the size could be a limb bone from a theropod. 

@LordTrilobite let's get his opinions 

• I found this Informative 3

I agree with Troodon. The hollow bone could be a Theropod limb fragment. Pterosaurs also have hollow bones. And they are present in Kem Kem. But the bone wall on the outside is much thinner than that of Theropods. Bird might also be a possibility for the hollow bone.

That weirdly shaped bone looks like you might be able to find out what it could be. I'd say keep your eyes open for similar shapes. But maybe you'll never find out. Even much more complete material is really hard to identify even to the family level.

That robust bone seems very hard or almost impossible to identify. At most you might be able to tell if it's from a crocodile or a dinosaur, since they have different bone structure. As far as I know crocs have denser bone. I would suggest just looking a lot at the bone structure of dinosaurs and crocs and see what matches best.

That last one definitely looks like some kind of scale. Since it seems to be a complete piece it's probably possible to ID this one. It's just a case of finding the right match. I don't recognise the shape though.

This is a really good paper on different types of fish that are present in Kem Kem. No example that matches your specimen though.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0125786

• I found this Informative 4

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thanks very much for your thoughts, I am quite excited at the possibility of the first bone being from a theropod. This is my first experience with Kem Kem material, and obviously I only paid a tiny amount for it. As much as I love beautiful, complete fossils, it's fun to go through the broken bits sometimes, especially when you're on a budget.

I'll keep learning and reading as much as possible, including poring over older related posts in this forum.

Thanks again.

At risk of pushing my luck, I've been puzzling over these two pieces. If anyone can cast an eye over them to see if they ring any bells, I'd be very grateful. 

This first one is vaguely claw-shaped, but I doubt it is one. It appears to be 'folder over' on the top and is a little curved laterally. It's 24mm long.

PCB_4328.thumb.jpg.2f7e807b46d2bc9169c9c6e75d13ac6a.jpg

PCB_4322.thumb.jpg.d1b04d07246019b802e88babc56f9427.jpg

PCB_4312.thumb.jpg.e6204b50a49c24b56604fe07b2d63b0e.jpg

The second doesn't look like any of the other bits I've got. I was wondering if it could be turtle shell?

PCB_4346.thumb.jpg.d9a544fe77ebfecf53a768c90f2e1325.jpg

PCB_4347.thumb.jpg.92b22fe2f4fd01e81d52ff8484fdea22.jpg

Many thanks for any help :)

Boy that first picture definitely has the appearance of a claw.  It's possible one has been totally compressed, crushed,  the articulation end has some definition.

Can you post a picture of the other side of second item, how big?

My initial impression of the first one was that it is just chert, but looking closer I don't think so. It is definitely something that was mineralized as it doesn't simply follow fracture lines and seems to have grooves that would indicate some type of claw or spur albeit crushed. 

Thanks very much for your thoughts. Here's a photo of the reverse side of my proposed turtle shell. It's much the same.

PCB_4357.thumb.jpg.aa84bf7799f9b7ddb75eabf622d912bc.jpg

Here's a few more shots of the strange claw-like thing. It doesn't closely resemble any of the fossil claws I've seen (or anything else I've seen, for that matter), but I am new to the world of non-marine invertebrates.

PCB_4359.jpg.93ad0580bb7b0d6cc412d218dc94b9a7.jpg

PCB_4360.jpg.6c6b0b114ec323eebeb1fed1932f0383.jpg

Doesn't look like a claw to me. I don't think there's a lot of deformation at Kem Kem. At least I haven't much so far. Some bones have some slight crushing. But nothing major. With a weird shape like that it's more likely to be some kind of skull piece. No clue as to what though.

That second item does look like a piece of shell, armour plate or skull roof. I personally don't have a lot of experience with turtles so I can't help there. The side definitely looks like a suture though.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

With your last two photos I agree with LordTrilobite it does not look like a claw or one that has been compressed, sorry about that.  The other item could be a part of a turtle plastron, I would not rule it out but turtle shell fragments from the Kem Kem are not common.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the claw fossil, I have come across a very similar piece (pictured) described as an 'Eotetraodon beak'. Some kind of puffer fish, apparently. I will do more investigating, but that sounds plausible.

F 648.jpg