David E.

What a great time of the year.  The spring rains come through and clean up the rivers/creeks so that we can go out and explore and enjoy our passion for fossil hunting.  The past two Friday's I've met up with @Jakuzi in our search for anything and everything Cretaceous.  Last weeks 5 ft. +. rise didn't offer up much on the fossil side but it did provide for some point finding.  This weeks 12 ft. + rise didn't offer much of either.  We both found a few pieces but nothing like we had hopes for.  We just weren't in the right place at the right time. :)  Either way, it made for a good time in the great outdoors.  This past Thursday I was out by myself at a location that Jakuzi and I have hit a couple of times and while there weren't many fossils to be had, I did find some a couple of cool items.

My favorite finds are the San Patrice point (black point), the small mos tooth, the semi-flattened vert and what appears to be the 15 fish vert & bones.  

IMG_0944 (2).jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0946 (2).jpg

IMG_0948 (2).jpg

IMG_0956 (2).jpg

IMG_0949 (2).jpg

Looks like you got a two-in-one special. A set of verts on an oyster shell. Cool find.

22 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Looks like you got a two-in-one special. A set of verts on an oyster shell. Cool find.

I was thinking the oyster shell was the back side of the fish verts (i.e. same piece)?  Are those articulated scales?

Edit: You're probably right on oyster.  Wishful thinking on my part :)

Great getting out with you David. Always a pleasure.

I was wondering the same about the collection of verts.  It has the shape and look of an oyster but the texture doesn't seem right for the oysters found out there.

Your point finding skills blew my mind.  Once agin congratulations on that San Patrice.

I was thinking scales.  I haven't come across an oyster that had the same feel/look to it out there on the NSR.  If you look at the bottom of the vert pic, you can see some of the material folded over from the top side.  Here's a couple of pics I just took out in the sun light.  The top feels like fish scales when rubbing it against the grain.  I wish I could capture all the fine bones off of the verts. 

IMG_0960 (2).jpg

IMG_0958 (2).jpg

@Jakuzi....I hope you guys kill it tomorrow.  Hope both of you find a backpack full of fossils and a hand full of points!  

Nice finds. 
I think it is very water worn scales on the backside of the verts. 
That is a pretty cool find. :) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Glad it appears to be fish scales afterall.  That's a really neat find for that location.

Really nice finds! Love the black point and fish piece!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

8 hours ago, David E. said:

I was thinking scales.  I haven't come across an oyster that had the same feel/look to it out there on the NSR.  If you look at the bottom of the vert pic, you can see some of the material folded over from the top side.  Here's a couple of pics I just took out in the sun light.  The top feels like fish scales when rubbing it against the grain.  I wish I could capture all the fine bones off of the verts. 

IMG_0960 (2).jpg

IMG_0958 (2).jpg

That's a great find. It's scales. I have a smaller version.

20170304_200046.jpg

3 hours ago, David E. said:

Nice find Jarrod.  There a vert or two in your find?

Yeah it has a few verts and multiple bones. 

post-19191-0-56991000-1445915633.jpg

Congrats David on that great fish piece and point!!

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

Thanks everyone.  More rain this week so hopefully next weekend we'll all have some good stuff waiting on us.

Love the fish piece! Any idea what type it might be?

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Love the fish!  It's always cool to find even associated pieces, but better when they are still together.  Sweet find.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

3 minutes ago, believerjoe said:

The least scary fish of the NSR.... Hoplopteryx

Awesome ID.  That's the first I've heard of it but looking it up the scales do look very similar.  Something else to look for on NSR!

If you're talking about the Fossil Collectors Guidgebook for the NSR, no I don't own it.  Thanks for the recommendation though.

Archived