HamptonsDoc

I purchased this tooth yesterday at the NY/NJ 22nd street fossil show and looking to see if the ID given by the dealer is correct. Allosaurus fragilis pre-maxillary tooth Morrison Formation Vernal, Utah. The tooth is 1-1/4" long. I count 3 serrations per mm. 

IMG_0710.thumb.JPG.bde72febfa2ec50e2b22eefc7efbd8ab.JPG IMG_0705.thumb.JPG.f081a4c31b1da8fd93be74813d3a812a.JPG IMG_0706.thumb.JPG.e4cc42f9264debc7a5e3ff2d2fc3c143.JPG IMG_0707.thumb.JPG.3ba7335701dac6d59976ee46fcd8da75.JPG IMG_0708.thumb.JPG.de715cafe0da0ebf0a74210887774a1b.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

Nice pick up.  This is what you typically see sold as Allosaurus.   I think it is but I have no scientific evidence to support that claim.  Not a lot has been published on theropod teeth from the Morisson and what I've seen focuses on dentary or maxillary teeth not premaxillary ones.  It has the size, robustness and the serrations are within range to be one but keep that eraser at the ready.:ighappy:   

How was the show?

The robustness and curve definitely support premax, and the serration count indicates allosaur. I'd tend to agree with the seller, the teeth I've seen in Wyoming seem especially similar, we even had an Apatosaurus ilium with scratches along it that matched the premax dentition right down to the slight curve of the teeth. Plus the matrix matches the Morrison, and allosaur teeth are the most common theropod teeth in the layer, so I don't believe he'd be intentionally misleading you.

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Nice pick up.  This is what you typically see sold as Allosaurus.   I think it is but I have no scientific evidence to support that claim.  Not a lot has been published on theropod teeth from the Morisson and what I've seen focuses on dentary or maxillary teeth not premaxillary ones.  It has the size, robustness and the serrations are within range to be one but keep that eraser at the ready.:ighappy:   

How was the show?

Thanks for your help!

The show was ok, mostly rock/mineral/crystal/jewelry dealers. A few fossil dealers that were at Tucson with smaller displays and a lot of people I saw buying in Tucson selling their material here.  Very little high end stuff and not that much dinosaur material overall. A few T-Rex teeth that I saw for sale in Tucson, some Moroccan claws, a few raptor and a small Anzu claw from the US, and a hand full of middle of the road quality oviraptor and hadrosaur eggs. Worth a trip if you're close but not to fly into town for. I went on opening day and lined up before the show opened to find those really great one of a kind dinosaur pieces but there weren't any. My intention was to take a lot of pictures and make a post about it but it's really the same as last years but fewer fossils. It's harder and harder to find good shows on the east coast. 

I'm not surprised when I heard that a couple of dealers, one key, would not attend.   It's expensive for them to travel and set up for the show and if it does not make financial sense why go.  I'm actually surprised the show is not more successful to attract higher end dealers but it's just not.  I went for the first few years since it was not far from where I lived but was always disappointed, guess spoiled by Tucson.   So save you're money for Tucson or Denver.

Nice tooth, Hampton's Doc!   I've attended this show for the last 3 years, but I'm not attending this year.  In years past, I've had pre-purchased fossils to pick up from dealers at the show, but not this year.  My kids really want to go tomorrow, as they like to see the dinosaur casts displayed there, and it is a day out after a hard winter.  However, I now have pink eye in my left eye, so I'm staying home. :mellow:    I was able to get some really nice specimens from Tucson, so I'm happy.   I'll have to go to Tucson some day. 

Looks like an Allo pre max. I have a couple and the serrations and shape are correct. However the color is way off for Vernal. That brown color is not common of that area. It should be almost black or very, very dark brown. 

Archived