One Dang Sticky Crab !!!

RJB

Ive been off and on working on some very sticky crabs these last few days.  I don't like working on them but they are great for what I call 'gas crabs'.  You can still get good crabs from sticky concretions, but they do take more concentration and more time.  Only bad thing is,,,  if it turns out to be a very bad crab then you've just waisted 3, 4 hours or more.  I did just that the other day.  Took about 4 hours to get the carapace exsposed and find the claw and legs on the left side, then found nothing on the right side but 'crab bits'.  Finding crab bits is almost always a very bad thing!  So I simply picked up another 'sticky' crab and went to town.  Here is what ive done so far on this one.  No telling wether or not I will finish it, that is up to the crab.

RB

STKY001A.JPG

STKY001B.JPG

Boy Ron, I know what you mean, especially when you have a concretion shaped like yours.  Looks like it should be a nice crab, but then turns out to be a real pain.  If you have a Paleo micro scribe you can follow the carapace and all easier.  This technique has been useful for me.  good luck.

As you know I'm not a prepper, so I can't imagine spending that amount of time on something that wasn't guaranteed to get results. Good on you...

BTW, any chance you can make larger pics? Your pics look like the old ones I used to post when I had the old tube monitor at 1024x768.

Thanks crabfossilsteve.

Wrangellian:  The only reason I have quite a few really nice fossil crabs is cause I go through this process of going through them to get the few really nice ones.  No way around it.  a

and im still looking for that perfect Pulalius.

As for bigger pictures, im not good at technology stuff.  Get confused very easily.

RB

Ive done a bit more work on this critter.  I can now see that the right arm is rather large.  That's always nice.  I can also see something on the bottom left of the crab that doesn't belong there.  My only guess is that its some disarticulated piece from the ventral side of the crab?  Makes me nervous!  One good thing is that the back of the carapace wasn't sticky.  Hip hip hurray!!!!   You can easily see the difference between the sticky and not sticky sides of this carapace.  Sticky arms and legs too.  But over all, not too bad so far?  :wacko:

RB

STKY001C.JPG

Did a few more hours on this thing.  Im amazed at how large the right claw is!!!  And that piece I thought might be a piece of disarticulated ventral turns out to be another claw from another crab!   That's a first.  This crab is starting to look purty dang good?  

STKY001D.JPG

2 hours ago, RJB said:

And that piece I thought might be a piece of disarticulated ventral turns out to be another claw from another crab!

Or, it's Zaphod Beeblebrox. :P

Looking good so far.

On 4/10/2017 at 6:34 PM, RJB said:

Did a few more hours on this thing.  Im amazed at how large the right claw is!!!  And that piece I thought might be a piece of disarticulated ventral turns out to be another claw from another crab!   That's a first.  This crab is starting to look purty dang good?  

STKY001D.JPG

You said it! :crab::dinothumb:

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Ok, and yet some more hours on this crab.   Now I think im going to add this beauty into my collection. I don't keep very many sticky crabs, but this one is coming out so nice that I have to. 

RB

STKY001E.JPG

This thing took a lot more hours than anticipated, but it came out purty dang good!  Im guessing this took upwards of 30 hours.  I don't usually keep these sticky beat up crabs, but this one,,,,, im keeping  Just waaaaaaaay too cool not to keep!!!   Anyways, here is the finished fossil.

RB

STKY001F.JPG

STKY001G.JPG

STKY001H.JPG

Aside from the interesting larger claw, it's worth keeping as a trophy of your ability to tackle such a difficult job.

Hey Wrangellian, You cant see the cracks in the movable pincer, but there was 3 heart attacks for me!   I had to apply some Cyano glue 3 times in order to not let this pincer fall apart!  Believe you me I lost some sleep trying to think about how I was going to prep this part out.  The amazing thing was that it actually worked out!  Im so pleased with it.  

RB 

First off, this crab is amazing!  Second, what determines a sticky crab, just matrix not being easily removed?  I gotta say man, there is just something about these crabs.  Obviously you do beautiful work, but I think it's because I'm Cajun(and we love us some crabs, cher), and there is just something immortalized in these specimens, for me at least.  

Keep it up man, crabs are not only delicious, but a few million years and a day or so of skilled work, and they are actually beautiful!

HH

-J

Thanks folks for all the compliments.

Joshuajbelanger:   Sticky is exactly what you said.  You littlerally have to beat up the crab shell material to get the rock off!  If you look closely at this crab you can see where it was sticky.

RB

Hey Blake, that one white round rock that you've got should be almost this nice?  I just hope the legs are there and placed nicely for you?  Gunna take some serious work though.  Good luck man

RB

On 4/13/2017 at 5:50 PM, RJB said:

This thing took a lot more hours than anticipated, but it came out purty dang good!  Im guessing this took upwards of 30 hours.  I don't usually keep these sticky beat up crabs, but this one,,,,, im keeping  Just waaaaaaaay too cool not to keep!!!   Anyways, here is the finished fossil.

RB

STKY001F.JPG

STKY001G.JPG

STKY001H.JPG

That is gorgeous! :wub: I need to save my pennies so I can get one of these. :faint:

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Thanks fella's.  Im not usually to excited about doing a 'sticky' crab, but I really enjoyed doing this one. 

RB

I had to take my computer in yesterday to get some nasty virus off of it and to just clean it up and what not.  i sat there in this high tech looking room for almost an hour talking with this computer guy.  One wall was all glass and on the other side of that glass wall was some huge main frame looking stuff.  i was at my internet providers computer room.  Anyways, after it was all fixed i asked him if he wanted to see some pictures of fossils.  This crab came up and he asked all the other 4 guys to come take a look at this.  They were amazed and I was amazed too, just in a different way!  This crab commaned the attention of all the guys who run my internet!!!  Hope no one lost any service?  Ha!!! 

RB

Archived