Most cost effective way to ship fossils.

Cluros

Does anyone have an idea of the most cost effective way to ship 100 pounds of fossils across country? I'm not sure flat rate boxes are the best because the size may be too small for some plates.

Thanks

Difficult to say just based on weight.   USPS ground using your boxes is usually the most economical way of shipping.   It's not priority so it takes the longest time and since it's ground the most hazardous to your fossils.   Depending on how fragile and we'll packed they are might be the cheapest option.  70 pound limit per box.  UPS and other similiar shippers are expensive.

For heavy items flat rate shipping is best, 25 pound limit. 

150 pounds plus is shipped freight through UPS and FedEx.

I use that method for shipping my panels.

I would build a crate and start packing them in.

I don't know retail prices though. I ship them through my job and they get like a 90% discount. The last panel I shipped was 160 pounds and cost me $30 or so.

41 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

I ship them through my job and they get like a 90% discount. The last panel I shipped was 160 pounds and cost me $30 or so.

Pretty cheap way to get to Florida for your next trip! Remember to put holes in the side of the crate for air though!

Thanks for the input. I will be sure to drill enough holes for my wife too. Otherwise she will call me cheap.

Archived