Peace River fragments

Jdeutsch

I'm posting 4 Peace River fragments with some interesting features.  Not sure they are all identifiable

overview Untitled-1.jpg

1 compUntitled-6.jpg

composit 2Untitled-26.jpg

3 compositUntitled-8.jpg

4 compositUntitled-15.jpg

The 4th one is giant tortoise/sea turtle shell.  I think that #2 and #3 are just shiney metallic like rocks but need single photos of each in extreme close up to be sure.  Show the grain of the surface. like this done with my cellphoneDSC00583cm.thumb.JPG.d50f43081a5f440b940a0c471af4484d.JPGTuskBlow_up.jpg.49372495aba4bb622210a7bf0099aba1.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, goatinformationist said:

Ivory?

Yes on my additional photo of mammoth/mastodon tusk. I can not yet tell on fossil number 1 above

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Agreed that #4 is actual fossil material--likely turtle shell (that's the general vibe I get as well). The other three appear to be chunks of phosphatic matrix worn smooth and shiny by tumbling in the river for some time. The pattered lines in #1 may be the result of the imprint of a bivalve mollusk. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks for input 

per suggestion

1 pic of spec 1 up close

3 pics of spec 2- one up close 

1 pic spec 3 up close

spec 2 has an interesting and suggestive shape, and natural forces are great artists, as demonstrated time and time again on this forum

r2Untitled-7.jpg

r1Untitled-5.jpg

r1Untitled-10.jpg

r1Untitled-13.jpg

r3Untitled-6.jpg

Yup. Great focused and lit photos--the kind that make it possible to assist with IDs (using nothing more than images without specimens in hand). All I'm seeing here are chunks of matrix with no discernible bone or enamel texture that would indicate fossils. The only thing I can positively identify from the photos above is the printed fossil guide from the Peace River in the background. :P

Time to head back to the Peace River with your recently tuned search image and find more fossils. The more different types (and number of specimens) you find the quicker you'll be able to discern the keepers from the leverites.

Cheers.

-Ken

Archived