N. Sulphur River 4/9/17

Buffalo Bill Cody

Well I'm not sure it's gets any better than today trip to NSR. @Jakuzi and I got an early start and were walking down the river at first light. We walked for well over an hour. It was exauhsting but proved to be worth the effort. The weather was overcast with a cool breeze and it was time for some hunting. Right off the bat, my buddy found a nice size vert. I found the biggest one I've ever found shortly after his. Then two more smaller ones. I was still mainly focused on trying to find my first point. At last it appears to me by chance and I could not believe my eyes. I could have easily missed this one. While sitting there holding it, I thought about the history of this point and wondered to whom it belonged and how it had come to rest in this very spot. Truly a magical moment in my life. If anyone knows the aproximent age or any further details about this point or any of the other finds, your feedback is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That's a great first point congrats! Always nice to find a whole point first time around. Don't worry it gets easier and more addictive. Looks like a Gary point, Late Archaic- ~2,000 B.C. - 700 A.D.

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

Congrats Cody.  Jake's mentioned  how you were itching to get out there and find a point....glad to hear you did.  That is one nice Gary!  Nice insitu.  The whole history of it, the who, what, when and where questions are what I think about when finding them as well.  John's right, it does get easier and yes, more addictive.  By the way, nice fossil finds as well. :) 

Thanks @CBOB thanks for the timeline @John S. Thanks @David E. I felt like it almost started getting easier by the end of the day. I'm sure I at least started spotting chert easier. We will have to meet up some time since @Jakuzi is leaving us for greener pastures. This was also my best day of fossil hunting, I only had one vert before today. 

image.jpeg

Nice finds!  And Congratulations on your first point! I am still looking for mine!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Crazy looking. Am I seeing tooth sockets on the left side? If so should be Fish jaw fragment. 

North Central Texas

Couple more Pics

Does anyone have an opinion on the possible artifacts to the left of the complete point in the original photo? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Your questionable piece is hard to see, but it looks like coprolite to me.  Lyla

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bill Cody said:

Couple more Pics

Does anyone have an opinion on the possible artifacts to the left of the complete point in the original photo? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Definitely an odd piece.  I was thinking maybe coprolite with all the odd fiberous/ hair looking material in it.  

Great hunting with you @Buffalo Bill Cody

It was awesome witnessing you find your first full point as well as that fatty Mos vert. I knew it was going to be a great day when we had found 3 verts in the first 30 min.  I'm eyeing the next few weeks and I'm sure I'll be able to work in a few more days out there.

The artifact immediately to the left of the whole point looks like a broken Gary. The others I'm not sure. 

North Central Texas

Really nice mo' verts and points- especially your first. Big congratulations! Looks like your efforts paid off. Thanks for sharing them.

Beautiful Finds! Great additions to any collection. Especially like the spear head....

:hammer01::mammoth::trex: Troy Niler, amateur fossil & mineral/artifact collector:meg::bone::trilo:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archived