Peace River IDs

stephoknee

Hi. I found these claws/talons (?) on the Peace River Saturday. Can anyone help me with a definitive ID for them?

Thanks,
Steph

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Ah, right you are. I never found those before and didn't think to google "spine."

Thanks!

No problem :) That tooth looks a little like a tiger shark tooth, in matrix (?). Let's see what others have to say about it!

The first is definitely a fish fin spine (probably cat fish), the second is either squalodon or a bull/ dusky shark tooth in matrix. I recommend taking the possible squalodon tooth to the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville, it could be a new species or a very very rare find. New species of whale are still being discovered it's worth a check. Also, they won't force a donation but i recommend donating the fossil if asked to.

I don't think it's in matrix. It's hard to take decent pics with my phone, but I'm attaching a couple of each side of the tooth. You can see the enamel under the brown part. And I'm definitely not opposed to getting it checked out at UF, or even donating it, if you guys think it's worth doing so.

6.jpg

7.jpg

The first items are fish spines and the second is a worn tooth from the shark Galeocerdo mayumbensis.

Don't make a special trip to Gainesville, Steph.  Angie has the ID for you.  The spines are from fish, probably deep- bodied fish like jacks or snappers, not catfish.  The tooth is a damaged example from tiger shark.

fish_fin_spine_priscacara.JPG

fishfinspinesnook.JPG

sharrk_Hemipristis.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I agree that your first items are fish spines.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Oh man, I was already on my way to Gainesville with my super rare find. Bummer. The tooth just confused me because the root is so so big.

While I have your attention, do you guys know what this might be?

Photo Apr 10, 2 50 17 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 10, 2 50 29 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 10, 2 50 39 PM.jpg

Hooray. Thanks again. I was hoping that's what it was, but didn't want to guess and out myself as a fool. 

15 hours ago, stephoknee said:

I was hoping that's what it was, but didn't want to guess and out myself as a fool. 

I do that all the time. :P

It's my primary method of learning. Nice armadillo find, BTW.

Cheers.

-Ken