Unknown shell from southeast Nebraska

Micah

I was going through fossils I found as a kid and I came across this one. It was in a box with mainly brachiopods and bivalves from the Indian Cave limestone, so I assume it also came from there. This is my first post so please forgive anything wrong with the pictures. Any help to Id this would be appreciated!

IMG_4258.JPG

IMG_4259.JPG

IMG_4260.JPG

It looks like a Bellerophon gastropod, to me.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It doesn't look like a Bellerophon to me. Possibly a gastropod, but the ridges are wrong and it almost looks like it is a bivalve from the top view... thanks for the responses though!

Not sure of the time period from which this came, but one taxon you might check into for comparison purposes (if the time range fits your site of collection) is Platyceras.  This genus spans the Silurian through Pennsylvanian in the Palaeozoic era.  Is the site from which yours came Pennsylvanian?  Several species can have varying degrees of carinae / ridges similar to yours (examples in the Devonian with such ridges include P. carinatum and P. bucculentum).  There may be Pennsylvanian representatives with similar morphology.  These shells can have considerable "intraspecific" variation with regard to the shell morphology.  Hard to tell from photos whether that is a good match or not, but worth checking...

• I found this Informative 1

Sorry to say, but pictures are bit blurry. Can you take some clearer shots from the front and lateral sides? :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, Peat Burns said:

Not sure of the time period from which this came, but one taxon you might check into for comparison purposes (if the time range fits your site of collection) is Platyceras.  This genus spans the Silurian through Pennsylvanian in the Palaeozoic era.  Is the site from which yours came Pennsylvanian?  Several species can have varying degrees of carinae / ridges similar to yours (examples in the Devonian with such ridges include P. carinatum and P. bucculentum).  There may be Pennsylvanian representatives with similar morphology.  These shells can have considerable "intraspecific" variation with regard to the shell morphology.  Hard to tell from photos whether that is a good match or not, but worth checking...

I think you might be onto something with Platyceras. Especially P. carinatum, seems to have approximately the same shell structure, but doesn't have the ridges. Maybe these pictures can help.

IMG_4265.JPG

IMG_4266.JPG

IMG_4267.JPG

IMG_4268.JPG

2 minutes ago, Micah said:

I think you might be onto something with Platyceras. Especially P. carinatum, seems to have approximately the same shell structure, but doesn't have the ridges. Maybe these pictures can help.

IMG_4265.JPG

IMG_4266.JPG

IMG_4267.JPG

IMG_4268.JPG

Hmmm. With the new photos, now I'm not so sure.  I'm seeing the ridges perpendicular to the carinae that I think @abyssunder was seeing / referencing.  Those seem unlike anything I've seen in platyceras.  

This is what I think has us leaning gastropod or monoplacophoran:

58ed5f6c36457_2017-04-1118_56_39.thumb.jpg.d45b6b4a2d29028cfd57ceef623aa05b.jpg

But maybe that's not the umbilicus we think it is?  Hopefully others will chime in.  A bit of matrix removal might help.

Just now, Peat Burns said:

This is what I think has us leaning gastropod or monoplacophoran:

58ed5f6c36457_2017-04-1118_56_39.thumb.jpg.d45b6b4a2d29028cfd57ceef623aa05b.jpg

But maybe that's not the umbilicus we think it is?  Hopefully others will chime in.  A bit of matrix removal might help.

I had the same thought with the umbilicus. Someone I showed it to awhile who is more familiar with these sorts of things wondered if it could be some sort of trilobite rolled up... I'll see what I can remove.

I don't know y'all, it's got a really tough matrix and I don't have the proper tools to remove it safely. Tried to take a bit off from around the potential umbilicus, but I'm afraid I'll damage it if I push much harder

IMG_4269.JPG

IMG_4270.JPG

I think that the radial ridges are going bilaterally to the central point of the evolvement with a perpendicular double-row of longitudinal ridges along the enrolling surface.
I haven't a better resemblance than this:

TreatiseSphenosphaera.jpg.35cbb72e6d85c6810785b37e540e6a60.jpg

link to source

Thomas Mann

My Library

@Micah, are you familiar with this book?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi%3Farticle%3D1002%26context%3Dconservationsurvey&ved=0ahUKEwje05bogZ7TAhVIfiYKHUrgAiYQFggjMAQ&usg=AFQjCNG2JbEYwtHp6P68Q2ngavFVXpoGrg

The illustrations are not that great, but it gives you some Pennsylvanian and Permian Mollusca (and other) taxa known from Nebraska that you can start comparing (using better images online and elsewhere).

• I found this Informative 2

14 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

@Micah, are you familiar with this book?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi%3Farticle%3D1002%26context%3Dconservationsurvey&ved=0ahUKEwje05bogZ7TAhVIfiYKHUrgAiYQFggjMAQ&usg=AFQjCNG2JbEYwtHp6P68Q2ngavFVXpoGrg

The illustrations are not that great, but it gives you some Pennsylvanian and Permian Mollusca (and other) taxa known from Nebraska that you can start comparing (using better images online and elsewhere).

Thanks Peat, I don't have this specific book, but I do have another by the same author specifically for my part of the state (thankfully with photos)! I've gone through it and now the one you sent and they are none that go beyond vaguely resembling it...