Mazon Creek Fossil?

Allenz

Hi all found , South Wilmington area 

Not sure but think could be jellyfish?

need experts to see what they think.

IMG_0584.JPG

IMG_0585.JPG

I hate to say this but it appears you've found an every day ordinary river stone. I'd check up with the REAL experts first however for they know more of this then I do. I do know Mazon creek is known for its Jurassic Flora fossils, not exactly fish.

:hammer01::mammoth::trex: Troy Niler, amateur fossil & mineral/artifact collector:meg::bone::trilo:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 minutes ago, Got Bones? said:

I hate to say this but it appears you've found an every day ordinary river stone. I'd check up with the REAL experts first however for they know more of this then I do. I do know Mazon creek is known for its Jurassic Flora fossils, not exactly fish.

It's actually Caboniferous Period( Middle Pennsylvanian) ;) 

Allen,  

To me, it looks like a chert cobble, with some mineral staining/inclusions perhaps. 

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 minutes ago, Got Bones? said:

Mazon creek is known for its Jurassic Flora fossils, not exactly fish.

Mazon creek is carboniferous (not jurassic) and has a wide variety of flora and fauna, marine and terrestrial fossils.

I agree that the piece in question is not a fossil, as far as I can tell.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 minute ago, ynot said:

Mazon creek is carboniferous (not jurassic) and has a wide variety of flora and fauna, marine and terrestrial fossils.

I agree that the piece in question is not a fossil, as far as I can tell.

Oops! I'm feeding the wrong information! :blink:

:hammer01::mammoth::trex: Troy Niler, amateur fossil & mineral/artifact collector:meg::bone::trilo:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to reply I have no problem if you are expert ,but just to set you on right wrong period 300 million years ago mid Pennsylvanian epoch of Carboniferous period. and it's an iron stone concretion 

No offense to anyone Found that some of the fossils In Mazon are really hard to identify,not saying it's a fossil but need experts to chime in.

@RCFossils @fossilized6s @digit  @fiddlehead

Hopefully, they will heed the call. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nope. I'm not seeing fossils on this piece--doesn't look like the normal concretion type that contains fossils. I like the little inclusion that looks like a mini-jellyfish but that is only fanciful resemblance.

You've found some nice Mazon Creek fossils before in the mine areas you hunt (but this is unfortunately not one of them).

Keep looking.

Cheers.

-Ken

I also agree that this appears to be a rock and not concretion. As an FYI, the area where you are collecting, be it called Pit 11 or the South Wilmington Sportsnan Club is also home to tons of glacial erratics left by the retreat of the last ice age. These rocks were included in the overburden that was dug out as the miners were digging for coal. Your rock could have been brought down from the Northern states or Canada.

Yup. Glacial erratics are not at all uncommon in the area. We found a nice chunk of what appears to be metallic copper ore while searching through the overburden that we suspect came from the copper rich areas further north.

Cheers.

-Ken

Archived