Jesuslover340

Exciting Aussie Fossil!

32 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

Thanks! You know what amazes me?

No matter how old the croc we have, whether it's some Cretaceous giant monster like Sarcosuchus or a modern croc from Java, or some incredibly rare one like your Aussie crocs - they fit the same general profile, cross section and ridges.

"Gee, I don't know, Cyril. Maybe deep down I'm afraid of any apex predator that lived through the K-T extinction. Physically unchanged for a hundred million years, because it's the perfect killing machine. A half ton of cold-blooded fury, the bite force of 20,000 Newtons, and stomach acid so strong it can dissolve bones and hoofs."

Very true! I was noting that myself...if it weren't for locality, I daresay many species couldn't be recognized one from another, their teeth are so similar! 

Unfortunately, I think the common occurrence of croc material (in the Americas, at least) causes them to be looked over elsewhere. Not a lot of people have an interest in fossil croc material or care how rare said material might be elsewhere :P

That being said, I posted this photo in another thread, but as this thread pertains specifically to Aussie crocs, here's a whoppin' big tooth from Pallimnarchus pollens from the Queensland Museum! Certainly a jaw-dropper!

B5CPqHbCEAAjvxK.jpg

Pallimnarchus pollens tooth in-situ :) Found by @Ash

1488106310557_0910785453_b9e0d3a7.jpg

Shame it was just the tip..I love the colour on that one.

Reckon the big tooth would fit my jaw!

That big one probably would, Ash!

Managed to get a photo of some of the serrations of the unknown croc tooth :)

20170424_135834.jpg

I wonder if any modern crocs have serrations? Google time!

I don't think so...

Anyone else have thoughts on the subject? I'm intrigued and would be keen to hear the thoughts of others :)

Hi,

In 2004 I went to Reunion Island and I visited a crocodiles park (which I ignore the species). I had got back a tooth and, in my remember, it was small but smooths. I don't know where I put it...

Coco