Ft. Worth Items

cthomp50

I did a creek walk in Fort Worth and found a number of little things and fragments, however I need some thoughts on the front two items.  The porous rock and the elongated rock.  I was wondering if these may be a coral sample and an infilled burrow...thoughts?

File_000.jpeg

The one that looks like sponge taffy is likely to simply be erosion. There doesn't seem to be any consistency in what would otherwise be the corallites, apart from a bit of gradational decrease in size. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

A couple of the pieces with the bumps on the side at the rear of the photo appear to be ammonite sections so the one in front could be a very eroded section but unlikely from views seen.

Mike

Definitely some worn ammonite fragments (x3), Texigryphaea sp. oyster and a couple of Neithea sp. "scallops".  The spongy rock is just a porous chunk of Limestone IMHO, the long chunk appears to be a large burrow infill, the reddish-brown piece appears to have bits of fossil imbedded but nothing I can ID in that photo.

There is some great collecting up that way. These all appear to be stream worn. You need to find where they are weathering out for more intact specimens.

Archived