james herrmann

I am sculpting an ammonite which will be hunting through kelp fronds.  The ammonite i want to use for this sculpture is crioceratites or something closely related.  I like the spines and overall shape.  My question is how many spines around each band of the shell?  Five or six?  Thanks for any help you might provide.

Thank you for replying to my question, I was looking at this same image, have purchased and am reading the book by Wolfgang Grulke.  I count the spines and based on the side that I can see believe that there are five.  I asked this question of Mr. Grulke who was kind enough to get back to me.  He said that the number varies between species but as a general rule of thumb the number is usually an even one.  Perhaps if someone had an image looking straight into the living chamber I could see the number and placement of the spines.  I am attaching two images, one of my work and one of the heteromorph ammonite I want to sculpt next.

mesozoicammonitesbronzeonagreenmarblebase.jpg

mesozoicammonites,castbronzeonagreenmarblebase,leftsideview.jpg

Crioceratites_nolani_France_450_mm.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you, that is what it looks like to me as well but it is reassuring to get the confirmation