Need help identifying possible marine fossil

Willicent

Hi Everyone,

First Fossil ID post.  This item was found in the Rio Puerco area around Cabezon Peak.  Supposedly, this specific area is an outcrop of the upper Cretaceous, likely a transgressive sandstone deposit of the Mulatto Tongue of Mancos Shale.  The specific location is termed Shark Tooth Ridge by many locals.  I was initially told to be Bryozoan but have no further information.  Any help with identification would be appreciated.  

There are two pieces that fit together as seen in pic Rio Puerco-0000.  The main objects look to me (Extreme novice) like some bone or stem.  The ribbing imprint seems come from the lower part what I see in Rio Puerco-0001 and Rio Puerco-0003.  But the outside ribbed imprint on Rio Puerco-0004 was made by something not found.  

This was just laying clumped together on the surface of a ridge with washout flow.

This is my first "potential" fossil find.  I included a map for location purposes only.  Thank you for any help coming my way.

William

Rio Puerco-0001-min.png

Rio Puerco-0002-min.png

Rio Puerco-0003-min.png

Rio Puerco-0004-min.png

Rio Puerco-0000-min.png

Location Map for Spot A.png

Hey, has anyone suggested Inoceramus hinge?  I am onboard as well.  These are common and very distinctive in Cretaceous marine rocks around here.

• I found this Informative 1

• I found this Informative 6

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Wow.  I have a bit of a learning curve ahead.  Having some trouble visualizing this but I will use the diagram to learn from through searching these terms.  I can't help but think of the song
"Lunatic Fringe" by Red Rider when you state "Inoceramid hinge"...  Thanks everyone.  I had a sneaking suspicion that the Bryozoan path was off base.

Edited by Willicent

I guess one followup question, would this be something most of you would leave behind based on the appearance, completeness, etc...  I will keep it as its my first one but just thinking about the next adventure to the field...which is likely this Saturday!

55 minutes ago, Willicent said:

I guess one followup question, would this be something most of you would leave behind based on the appearance, completeness, etc...  I will keep it as its my first one but just thinking about the next adventure to the field...which is likely this Saturday!

I personally would keep it for future reference and comparative material.  Also as a voucher for that taxon for the location / formation in which you found it.  Depends on the goals you have for your collection :).

Finding ones that are already broken and showing the internal structure means that you won't have to break complete ones to study it :)

Also, as you learn more about fossils, you will educate others and will have specimens like this to show others what they have found and how to interpret it.

• I found this Informative 1