pambosk

Ok I have discovered an area of a square mile, is literally full with fossils.  Any local paleontologists or researchers should contact me. Just today o gathered 5-6 pieces in just 20 minutes. 

The following is brown/orangish body with elevated dark green/grayish areas at some place as veins originating from what appears to be a fraction of some previous enclosing or shell if u ike, only i think it is more than a shell. photos probably wont hava u sure, and i dont know when i can create better ones but if u read the following you can form an opinion, because it looks like it is very promising.  

The object is 15cmx10cm x 5cm height. Surface is rough, porous and it appears to be merged or even made of:.. thousands of little fossils of amazing shapes and coloues.  There are also many fossils made of metal like silver and gold colored ones. they are very nice to look at. !  

At a point on the "encasing" part (photo 2) there are some yellow formations they look like tiny crystal corals and sponges in their material and like big corals, sea horses or something in ther overtal appearance..  The encasing side, (it has 6 sides overall) was in the earth and the whole thing seemed to be a red ammonite popping out of the earth.

I mean all those fossils there, and ok there are the dominant material in most things there so other than they are made out of some sort of puyrite or gold or crystal or silver, their varuety CAN be found all over the place.

Is is possible there is something more inside?

Should I crack open? Is there anything inside like an ammonite or a huge urchin, or a plant some weird kind of life ?IMG_0355.thumb.JPG.c63b7e22450f8d2d5634d47086fef600.JPGIMG_0333.thumb.JPG.f91f162671252531e7e1bdfec8807bc8.JPG

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any indication of prehistoric life in these specimens-they seem to be simply geologic in origin :)

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

5 minutes ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any indication of prehistoric life in these specimens-they seem to be simply geologic in origin :)

Ok thanbks..  and what could you say about the thousands of small organisms, identified today as fossils, and the materials they are made of? Please do trust me they are there, til i figure a way to take pictures through a magnifying glass in good quality 

20 minutes ago, pambosk said:

Ok thanbks..  and what could you say about the thousands of small organisms, identified today as fossils, and the materials they are made of? Please do trust me they are there, til i figure a way to take pictures through a magnifying glass in good quality 

I believe what you think are small organisms in your pieces above are grains of some type of sand/quartz in sandstone ;)

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

The whole ensemble looks like a septarian concretion/nodule, to me, with differential weathering.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

4 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

The whole ensemble looks like a septarian concretion/nodule, to me, with differential weathering.

I thought this too...but it also has a sandstone texture to it-can such concretions be made of sandstone?

I don't know, but the mica flakes from the surface tells that it's from sandy marine environment, maybe from a shore. I'm thinking of the Moeraki boulders, in a more reduced scale.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

14 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I don't know, but the mica flakes from the surface tells that it's from sandy marine environment, maybe from a shore. I'm thinking of the Moeraki boulders, in a more reduced scale.

So it's mica we're seeing, not quartz? What's the difference?

Disclaimer: I know hardly anything about rocks, only fossils :P

Thanks ppl, I do happen to have found a septarian nodule as well, it feels like there is fish skeleton inside, I ll give u photo but NO, this one it is not such :) And the organism fossils are very obvious what they are, they cannot be confused with enlarged sand grain looks. You can see those with a naked eye or a small hand lens very easy, there's a whole lot of action going on on this piece, as if a day of those small worms, snails, shells, fish etc was drawn into a painting.Anyways please allow me the benefit of doubt, I will manage to get you somer microscopic so to say photos of the organisms i see there, also the whole thing looks like, a jellyfish or an octopus even is hugging something orangey/red .  And I can distinguish like "skeletal designs" more like lines in a nice parallel raw and steady length reducing. 

In the meantime please allow me to keep posting my finds of that area in this topic, so to keep somehow an order in the furture when my posts will be too many.. And also get a better idea about our location and if this material is indigenous or was brought there for any other purpose, and happened to be absolutely not interrested in fossils.

You can't blame me for thinking again: "Ohhh.. hello there ancient gead profile! You are 7cm long 3-4 cm high and 1.5cmthivk at some points only.."

IMG_0373.thumb.JPG.9d4b95252fb8681a85e877c6a0acd94e.JPGIMG_0374.thumb.JPG.163b499afd8d508db97ed13d8e406b40.JPG

If that's what you're dead set on believing, then no one can convince you otherwise, whether they're geologic in origin or not :)

I'm also not seeing any evidence of fossils here. As others have said above, the grains may be quartzite or mica flecks. How does this area you are collecting from correspond with the detailed geological map of Cyprus I posted for you some while back? The history of your particular region has a lot of volcanic activity associated with it, so finding stuff like andusite, dacite, hornblende, biotite, etc., will be fairly typical. Your area seems to bump up against the Mamonia, which is really a kind of dog's breakfast of igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks, a scattering due partly on account of the uplift of the Troodos mountains. You will also find amidst the sedimentary marine deposits a fairly large blank in the record as, for a period of a few millions of years, the strait of Gibralater closed up and the Mediterranean went dry. 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Hehe dear friends, I highly respect all of your opinions, yes as I said, give me some more time to prove the existence of at least small fossils over the surface and half/submerged of that. So I suppose it doesn't really matter because the sample it self is not a fossil. :)

Dear Kane, again many thanks for your information, in relation to the map you showed to me, the area belongs to a sediments area.

And I'd like to go on and say, I do not believe or consider credible anything published with the assistance or for the government of Cyprus. I base this on many "facts" especially regarding history and ancient times that were never true, some merely assumptions, some said because they were good for that time, some with very few backup evidence.  I ll keep on trying, learning, asking and I will find out by my self as much as I can for this place I exist on. My apologies if I am insulting any esteemed scientist it was never my intention.  If you wish not to give me your opinions, or not share any relevant publication info, I will understand.  

Still I hope that you do continue to share your knowledge, and that one day I can help out too in solving some :) 

now I will resume posting at some point ..  and I will try and be careful and use what I have already learned, when choosing what to post. (please note that even before I 'd posted I have had already identified and saved or discarded a good number maybe 5% of my things, I even put that Vermetidae there to stop this feeling that I only bring non-fossil mysteries on the table, for crying out loud haha)  I am looking for a pygmy unicorn and more on our supposed island species of elephant and hippo, anyone knows (Kane) where would that be better to look for?

The first rock pictured is not typical of a fossil bearing rock. It is typical of an iron rich volcanic rock. The small white specks are crystal structures that formed when it was molten. They do not appear to be organic remains from Your pictures,

The second picture is of a quartzite nodule (chert). The surface structures are the result of impact fractures while being tumbled in a stream. This is a diagnostic feature of quartzite rocks.

The responders on the Fossil Forum have no reason to try and deceive You, We get nothing in return.

We do want to help You to understand what You have. Which are not fossils this time.

Regards,

Tony

• I found this Informative 4

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

once more thank you, 

i never thought anyone would deceive me and for what hehe. In my pictures yes, you cannot see the organic remains.  I couldn't sleep last night, I went out there again today..  Among other things, I found 2 more rocks  of the same material. Even though thse new ones have no organic residue or structures on them.. one of them has a yellow crystal formation, that resembles a formation on the rock above.  I will focus on that for the moment and get some photos for u asap. 

I really need to speak to a paleontologist here in cyprus ppl. Because i got the feeling that someone dumped like 20 tracks full of fossil material, at a different location for some reason. I m baffled. 

And i'm not even sure if i should post any more photos from this location. But I will. hehe. see u in a few minutes.

Ok here we go.  All 3 together.  I know at some points it is out of focus, please try and concentrate on the spots that are in focusIMG_0434.thumb.JPG.aec77ca5cd00ed8dea543becf63b560c.JPG

notice the 2 similar yellow formations

IMG_0412.thumb.JPG.6d923dc5ffd0b61f6ca0a0751c151b26.JPG

closer look.  More photos inc 

IMG_0408.thumb.JPG.33fd25716bf8faad83d8562166414c23.JPG