Dolichoharpes reticulata

minnbuckeye

Last summer I had the opportunity to explore SW Wisconsin for a short afternoon. I posted my finds back then including this picture: DSC_0366-002.thumb.JPG.abe9caebe7491b5359fe2a3422dcfd22.JPG 

This trilobite was IDed as an upside down Dolichoharpes reticulata by our Fossil Forum trilobite expert. He suggested that I have it professionally prepped due to its rarity. Being a conservative man to begin with, and having never had any of my finds professionally prepped, I was a bit concerned about the  fees for this. But I found the right man for the job and he even gave me a great break on the prepping. The results to me were absolutely stunning!!! WELL WORTH the investment in proper cleaning. So here is the finished product:DSC_0818.thumb.JPG.ae2b8fd2cb4cf433f040d07c6c4b3465.JPGDSC_0828.thumb.JPG.a8bfbf85aed5223aa2de9309d9973533.JPGDSC_0832.thumb.JPG.ed61da59ff97f84101e630e4f119b193.JPGDSC_0834.thumb.JPG.987cd4674eabaaf8970ea23fa7a5edff.JPG

32 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

This trilobite was IDed as an upside down Dolichoharpes reticulate by our Fossil Forum trilobite expert. He suggested that I have it professionally prepped due to its rarity...

Some very good advice... Congrats on a great Dolichoharpes reticulata:fistbump:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

WoW! :fistbump:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

Oh, my! :blink::wub: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I think some kudos need to be thrown to the guy that prepped this beauty.  Absolutely stunning specimen, I'll start the bidding at $5.00. Ya, I know it's a high bid to start with, but my intent is to scare off the other bidders.

Congrates Mike, she's a show worthy piece indeed.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Great :wub: Congrats !

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Indeed that is a stunner of a trilobite.  Your preparator is quite skilled to take an upside down bug, flip mount and prep it out.  Sweet.  Good decision.

was the bottom side known in the lit? Assume so if the top was the desired prep side. Beautiful trilobite!

Amazing trilobite and prep job!  I'm always amazed at the skill and patience of the preparators of trilobites.  Great find!

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:56 AM, Al Dente said:

Very nice. Did he have to epoxy it to another piece of matrix before preparation?

My understanding is they were to cut a layer off the one side, attach it to the ventral side of the trilobite, then prep down from the top. Unfortunately, I did not have much time to talk with Dan about how his son prepped this. I will try and get a better understanding the next time we meet. 

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:12 PM, ranitomeya said:

Amazing trilobite and prep job!  I'm always amazed at the skill and patience of the preparators of trilobites.  Great find!

I had the thrill of visiting the prep shop one winter's day when in Cincinnati, Oh. The samples they had on their shelves waiting to prep were unbelievable. You could tell they were great at what they did. 

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:42 PM, caldigger said:

Absolutely stunning specimen, I'll start the bidding at $5.00. Ya, I know it's a high bid to start with, but my intent is to scare off the other bidders.

Congrates Mike, she's a show worthy piece indeed.

caldigger, I will accept your initial bid at $5.00. Let the bidding begin. I will take bids up to noon on July 21, 2056. I will then hit the century mark and would love for someone on the forum to have it!!!

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:02 PM, piranha said:

Some very good advice... Congrats on a great Dolichoharpes reticulata:fistbump:

Piranha, thanks for the ID on the trilobite and thanks for pushing me to prep this professionally!!!

Finally thanks to all for their wonderful comments

But Mike, you didn't include which time zone the auction ends in!  As I know I will be busy that day and won't be following the action, I recant my bid.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Archived