Florida tooth scrap fragment

Plantguy

Hey Gang, Looking for some more opinions...Not been doing much fossiling lately but I did spend some time looking at some scrap material I picked up a couple years back and had thrown in the possible elephant bits of tooth pile and the wonder if question hit me again.  Its about 2.5 cm tall.

Could this be something else, maybe even a horse tooth fragment?  I did look thru some of the Equiid tooth pictures in Hulberts book and havent seen anything that I thought matched--Cormohipparian and Hipparian and some of the other early horses look like possibilities. Too bad its just a fragment. 

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks! 

58eeece3b13dc_Unknowntoothfragment20170411_114315.thumb.jpg.01a86f639f245145bbb4398615699056.jpg58eeececed1ed_Unknowntoothfragmentpanorama.thumb.jpg.fadb99d139544d13cb22be139dd459bd.jpg58eeecf5c1447_Unknowntoothfragment20170412_222142.thumb.jpg.d048d6c387900043f4124edb4cf11625.jpg

Regards, Chris 

6 hours ago, caldigger said:

I'm getting a Mastodon or Gromphothere vibe on this.

Thanks Caldigger. I wish there was more to work with as is alot of the fragmentary stuff that I pick up. Maybe my initial thoughts were ok. It wasnt until I took a photo of the broken occlusal surface that I noticed the pattern which I didnt see before--it just seemed to be something different...Appreciate the 2nd opinion.  

Regards, Chris 

Agreed with Caldigger--the thickness of the enamel in cross-section screams mastodon/gomph to me. Until I'm corrected by further knowledge, all pieces showing this search image pattern get labeled as non-mammoth proboscidean (while technically probably not correct, it is my category for mastodon/gomphothere).

Hope you are able to get back out into the field soon. I'm sure all that cleaning you've been doing on accumulated piles of material in your garage has made room for more fossils. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

11 hours ago, digit said:

Agreed with Caldigger--the thickness of the enamel in cross-section screams mastodon/gomph to me. Until I'm corrected by further knowledge, all pieces showing this search image pattern get labeled as non-mammoth proboscidean (while technically probably not correct, it is my category for mastodon/gomphothere).

Hope you are able to get back out into the field soon. I'm sure all that cleaning you've been doing on accumulated piles of material in your garage has made room for more fossils. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Hey Ken, thanks for the reply. The feature that made me wonder more than anything was this little loop--. 58f018dde46f7_Unknowntoothfragment20170412_222142areaofquestion.thumb.jpg.0e41b0a66512870a965d781f364a67f0.jpg

Yeah I'd like to do something more serious collecting/digging wise--I'm in a hold mode for the moment. I have made several 30 minute jogs into a ditch or dirt pile after work and into even a lake recently and pulled out a mako tooth so its not been all bad. 

As for reducing the piles in the garage...unfortunately its not happening fast enough...LOL....

Thanks again...Hope you get out soon as well. 

Regards, Chris 

Archived