Weird Fossil from Big Brook

RolleiPollei

Hey guys, 

I'm new here and to fossil collecting in general and have made a couple trips to Big Brook. I've collected mostly shark teeth and the usual fossils in the area but the other day found this fragment of something. I wouldn't have thought too much about it but it has these odd ridges on a small part of the edge which baffles me and everyone whose seen it. Is this even a fossil and if so does anyone have any clue what it is from? Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

20170413_012809.jpg

This appears to be a fossil Exogyra costata with a minor section of the oyster missing. Read here for more information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exogyracostata

:hammer01::mammoth::trex: Troy Niler, amateur fossil & mineral/artifact collector:meg::bone::trilo:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's  probably an Exogyra or Pycnodonte "lid". Very common downstream of Boundary Road Bridge. Scarce upstream of the bridge.

Agreeing with Veira and Aldente and now Got Bones!

Thanks so much for the information! I figured it was an invertebrate of some kind but it looked a lot different and larger compared to all of the other oyster fossils you see everywhere in that site. 

On a side note these are the other fossils I found that day. The Squalicorax tooth on the bottom left is the most complete  one I've found so far. 

20170413_121354.jpg

Two of those are cow shark teeth, nice finds. :meg:

:hammer01::mammoth::trex: Troy Niler, amateur fossil & mineral/artifact collector:meg::bone::trilo:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2017 at 8:13 AM, Got Bones? said:

Two of those are cow shark teeth, nice finds. :meg:

I think you mean "Crow Shark" teeth. 

They are definitely not cow shark teeth. :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:40 PM, Fossildude19 said:

I think you mean "Crow Shark" teeth. 

They are definitely not cow shark teeth. :unsure: 

Oops! I meant Crow shark teeth!

Archived