Nj Cretaceous Brook Hunting

Pitviper

I met up with Lord Piney (Phil) this weekend to check out some NJ brooks.

We arrived at Ramenessin at 9:30 and were met by Shamalam (Dave). In addition to being a good host, Phil came prepared with some beautiful petrified wood, stunning blue opal, and a ton of other minerals. Right away I realized it'd be a good day.

In we go.

Our first sandbar produced some nice shark teeth, mostly goblins... I got a nice sized one right away. So the day started out promising and the weather was fantastic. I immediately realized these guys are very well read and have lots of experience in the field, I definitely learned a few things throughout the course of the day. Dave and I had a great time sifting the stream bottom, while Phil carried his sifter most of the day one, scanning one sandbar after another. We covered a lot of ground and many of those beds gave out nice teeth, sawfish rostrums, a fish vert., a (modern) ground hog skull, enchodus teeth, and some indian artifacts. It was a good day. Phil generously gave us much of what he found... (he kept for himself some really nice finds, I'll let him tell you about those. Phil had boundless energy and we covered a good amount of territory in the 6 or so hours we were out there. Dave split a little earlier and it seems like he left very happy with his finds :) I was really happy with what I came home with, I can't wait to get back out. It was nice to meet you guys, thanks for a good day! Shoot me an email if you're going out around NJ again.

576657344_NPVPx-L.jpg

576647540_2ffa7-L.jpg

576642136_XZ7n9-L.jpg

Honeycomb coral

576661685_JVqyp-L.jpg

576644072_8spoH-L.jpg

576676590_r8vhV-L.jpg

576655943_nfNx3-L.jpg

"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only to what we know of it."

yeah buddy...it was awesome meeting you and dave. im glad to hear you had a good time. you really take some great pics! i go almost every weekend, so lets do it again. this time we park in a better spot with no cops! lol.

Love the skull, could you post pictures from other angles, the tend to be helpful for identifying fossils some times. :)

Love the skull, could you post pictures from other angles, the tend to be helpful for identifying fossils some times. :)

It seems to be a ground hog.

"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only to what we know of it."