Mazon creek ID

Allenz

Hi all again found this again in strip pit,Wilmington area.

Not sure if this is anything,could be just the way it fell,or breakage

of it ,shaped like shell but think just fern,what do you think?

Really nice,post some others to.

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

The first concretion appears to  have fracture marks on it and some  miscellaneous plant to  debris, but it's harder to tell to do the picture.  The second concretion definitely contains ferns, most likely Pecopteris, and other miscellaneous plant to  debris. 

When you say that you  found these in the Wilmington area, where exactly? In or near Shadow Lakes which is Pit 4?

Yes across from shadow lakes off 113 ,were do I find the info for pit # s 

can you link map to me? Probably would be helpful when I ask for your guys input.

Then nothing of interest on the side shown in the first two images but a really nice fern frond evident from the rest (flip side of the same rock). Not the standard type of a concretion that forms a cocoon around the specimen in a spherical or oval shape but a nice fossil nonetheless.

Looks like that spot is worth returning to so you can see if there are more like this.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ken found a massive chunk just couldn't,carry back,don't want to destroy it will post when I get it out.

10 hours ago, digit said:

Then nothing of interest on the side shown in the first two images but a really nice fern frond evident from the rest (flip side of the same rock). Not the standard type of a concretion that forms a cocoon around the specimen in a spherical or oval shape but a nice fossil nonetheless.

Looks like that spot is worth returning to so you can see if there are more like this.

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken, that type of concretion is very, very common around the area that he found it it. If you were to smack it with a hammer I could almost guarantee that there is more ferns and plant material inside.

11 hours ago, Allenz said:

Yes across from shadow lakes off 113 ,were do I find the info for pit # s 

can you link map to me? Probably would be helpful when I ask for your guys input.

Allen,

Do an internet search for "Illinois State Geological Survey Circular 480". Open the link and you will see where you can download a pdf titled "Development of Paleobotany in the Illinois Basin". On page 20 you will find a map that lists all of the pits from 1 thru 16. The area where you are collecting (Pit 4) contains the freshwater Braidwood Biota, besides plants, you can also find spiders, insects, horseshoe crabs, millipedes, amphibians and fresh water fish and scales to name a few. Good luck and good hunting.

• I found this Informative 2