What is the best gear to use?

Got Bones?

Hello fellow TFF Members!

I have a massive scale trip planned ahead for a fossil hunting excursion in the Black Hills of South Dakota, and I'd like to start it off professionally compared to my other trips, where cheap and very few tools were used. I was wondering if an expert out there to explain a step by step process on what tools to use for different jobs.

:hammer01::mammoth::trex: Troy Niler, amateur fossil & mineral/artifact collector:meg::bone::trilo:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I go collecting in SD or Montana I like to travel light but my equipment is geared to what I am trying to find and the environment.  For example my tools are different if am I digging in a channel deposit, microsite, bonebed or just walking around prospecting.  My first question to you is what type of collecting are in your plans? 

I always carry heavy duty aluminum foil, knife, xacto knives, dental picks, awl, brushes and glue like a paleobond field adhesive.  Here is my post from my last Septembers trip.

Archived