Where to find fossils in Southwestern Maine or Southeastern New Hampshire

qwhx

Where is a good place that is open to the public and allows digging to find fossils in Southwestern Maine or Southeastern New Hampshire

• 3 months later...

Well that's a hard question as in such a broad and dense population of people there are hundreds and thousands of streets, lots, etc. I would advice to try to get access to a beach somewhere near you lakes you most likely not find anything as it takes too much research to understand whether it is man made or not and other strenuous details. Since you know exactly where you live maybe this geological survey will help but don't rely on it too heavily as you still have to actually get to a less populated area of people to start looking. As for whether it is allowed or not just make sure your not in a privately owned land I don't know very many beaches that do not allow picking up natrual items such as rocks shells and of course fossils good luck and if you see a bone sticking out of the ground that is clearly fossilized and old as well as buried I would greatly give you advice to not touch it you can very easily damage fossils so before you even begin to think about collecting or purchasing them make sure you have proper storage I have regrettably made mistakes that led to damaged fossils luckily my arrogance for their importance costed common index fossils however I will never forget the pain of breaking history it is a very sad thought so keep this in mind when collecting 

Fig_1.jpg

rydysig.JPG

This is very non-fossiliferius part of the country.  The beaches are not fossiliferous and the rocks are generally not sedimentary.  You may have to travel further afield.

2 minutes ago, jpc said:

This is very non-fossiliferius part of the country.  The beaches are not fossiliferous and the rocks are generally not sedimentary.  You may have to travel further afield.

Indeed I was thinking more invertebrate fossils such as "sand dollars" and possibly coral fossil remains.

rydysig.JPG

48 minutes ago, Ryan Dye said:

Indeed I was thinking more invertebrate fossils such as "sand dollars" and possibly coral fossil remains.

Yeah, i had these in mind as well.  no fossils.  I hope someone local can say that i am Wrong.   Connecticut River Valley has fossils in Mass and CT.  Probably hard to find.

1 minute ago, jpc said:

Yeah, i had these in mind as well.  no fossils.  I hope someone local can say that i am Wrong.   Connecticut River Valley has fossils in Mass and CT.  Probably hard to find.

Wow that is unfortunate I suppose fossils don't grow on trees. 

rydysig.JPG

Archived