First Cretaceous adventure this year

Ridgehiker

Its Spring.  A glorious day.  prairie Crocus are  in bloom, the Meadowlarks are singing and the sky full of migrating waterfowl.  

First outing this year into the badlands.  Headed out  just north of Jenner, Alberta and then a trek east along the Red Deer River.  Age is Campanian ( Late Cretaceous) about 72 million mya.   All terrestrial deposits. A  6 km cycle ride in and then hike another couple.  About 3 hours looking for fossils.

Its feast or famine. Some hoodoos sterile and then an area dripping with vertebrate fossils.   This area also yields a few 'unknowns'

All fossils catch and release.

IMG_6580.JPG

A decent hadrosaur claw.. .foot ungual.  Reflects the size of the hadrosaurs in these formations...a variety of species but not as large as in the younger Maastrichtian stage.

IMG_6547.JPG

IMG_6630.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Another claw...hand ungual.  These are easily overlooked in the bone rubble as the shape is hard to distinguish. Arrows point to distal end.

IMG_6593.JPG

IMG_6617.JPG

IMG_6618.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

For some reason, one layer has a lot of theropod phalanges.  Raptor, Tyrannosaur and Ornithomimid.   Its not unusual for theropods to be found 'in bunches' in the Late Cretaceous

IMG_6557.JPG

IMG_6582.JPG

IMG_6615.JPG

IMG_6616.JPG

A distal end of an orninthomid phalange.  Found the other half 20 meters down a rill in a hoodoo. Climbed back up to reunite them. They will likely 'separate' again.

IMG_6549.JPG

IMG_6581.JPG

Not much of a tooth day.  One gracile Tyrannosaur tooth. One Raptor. Both nice serrations and colour.  However...that was it other than an Ankylosaur tooth.  No Ceratopsian or Hadrosaur teeth. No Croc teeth...no Myledaphus teeth

IMG_6634.JPG

IMG_6635.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Nice finds! I wish I had dino material locales near me! Those teeth look real sweet!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Somebody's rib.   Not  sure why but ribs not as common proportionately here as in other locales.

IMG_6570.JPG

Ankylosaur vertebra.    Possible ankylosaur toe bone as found in Ankylosaur debris and they are shaped like this and rugose texture

IMG_6567.JPG

IMG_6583.JPG

Tyrannosaur phalange high in a hoodoo.  I saw something reflecting the sunlight and only found it by scanning the hoodoo with binocs.

IMG_6559.JPG

All catch and release, even the teeth? Is that because you already have tons of them?