First Cretaceous adventure this year

Ridgehiker

Unknown small phalanges of some type.  Common in area at a certain level but don't find a them elsewhere.   Any ideas?

IMG_6619.JPG

IMG_6620.JPG

Not sure what the two similar features are above rubble of dino material.  About volleyball size. Lots of limbs, etc. Likely more than one individual.

IMG_6587.JPG

IMG_6586.JPG

Another toe.   Distal end of buried theropod phalange. Another phalange exposed along rill.

IMG_6560.JPG

IMG_6577.JPG

IMG_6598.JPG

The usual petrified wood in this area but also a lot of smaller bits in matrix in a distinct layer. 

IMG_6566.JPG

15 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

All catch and release, even the teeth? Is that because you already have tons of them?

In part.  I havent collected anything for the last couple years. I'm also too lazy too clean things up and properly curate them.  The fun to me is getting out into Nature and 'the hunt'.  

I used  to go out fossil hunting and my pack was heavier when I returned.  Now its lighter because I've drank my water and eaten my lunch.

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice trip report....really enjoying the travels you're describing around southern Alberta as we're still snowed in up here in the north.

foresterab

Always love your trip reports. Watch where you're walking with all those exploding dinos

Nice trip report and it is always interesting to see different material then what I find in Australia.

As usual wish I could collect and take home but with you laws similar to the Australian ones that prevent most exports.

Mike

• 5 months later...

It really really pains me to see all of these wonderful fossils eroding away and disintegrating into sand. To find a single dino tooth in the areas I collect is enough to make the year for me. 

But as usual, great trip report! You are lucky to be in such a fossiliferous area.

I should have thanked you for this photo journal when I saw it months ago. Great shots! Thanks for sharing. Have to get together some day.

Just a head's-up, Canadawest has not logged on to the Forum since mid June, when he had a dispute with another member who was selling fossils.  While we can hope he will return to enthrall us with his amazing travelogues, you may wait a long time before he responds to any posts.

Don

• 8 months later...
1 minute ago, Vacationgirl said:

Why “catch & release”?

If you read the OP's reply above, he says why:

"In part.  I havent collected anything for the last couple years. I'm also too lazy too clean things up and properly curate them.  The fun to me is getting out into Nature and 'the hunt'.  

I used  to go out fossil hunting and my pack was heavier when I returned.  Now its lighter because I've drank my water and eaten my lunch."

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Even if you doesn´t see my reply: Thank you so much for taking us to this impressive Dino graveyard! I realy, realy enjoyed this virtual trip. There is nothing remotely similar here in old Europe.

Btw, collecting with the camera isn´t that bad!

Franz Bernhard

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:54 AM, Canadawest said:

In part.  I havent collected anything for the last couple years. I'm also too lazy too clean things up and properly curate them.  The fun to me is getting out into Nature and 'the hunt'.  

So is he saying that the catch and release is on his part rather than rules/laws of the location?

Archived