james herrmann

I would like to introduce myself and my work.  I grew up on a small farm in southwestern Ohio loaded with great locations for the collection of ordovician fossils.  I earned my BA in geology and taught fro approximately 30 years.  I retired from education in 2015 and have been working as a sculptor since.  I do some animal and wildlife work, some fantasy sculptures and some paleontology themed pieces. I aways try to have my pieces looking and behaving in a lifelike and believable fashion as well as being technically accurate.  My sculptures are created in clay, I then make rubber molds, cast a wax in the mold and then have the wax cast in bronze in a foundry.  Sculpting in bronze is more expensive than resin but the material is strong and incredibly durable.  I am currently working on another sculpture of a heteromorphic ammonite that I also need help with.  Let me first attach sample of my sculptures to show you my work.

Thank you.D97P5147.thumb.jpg.4b7fc24183dedc6645a7f7d1256736f9.jpg

fisotelusmaximus,castbronzeonlimestonebase,sideview.jpg

Mesozoic Ammonites - right side view - cast  bronze sculpture on a marble base.jpg

Unknown.jpeg

herrmann-2_1.jpg

ammonite shell cast bronze sculpture on rose alabaster base left side.jpg

Love the ammonites!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Funny, i just came across your trilobite sculpture while exploring the ol' interwebs a few days ago. Wish i could afford one, it's stunning. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Wonderful

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Definitely like your work in Bronze.

"My sculptures are created in clay, I then make rubber molds, cast a wax in the mold and then have the wax cast in bronze in a foundry."

Any one of the processes sound labor intensive . . . and worth the effort!               Bravo James

I really appreciate this post and admire your work. Thanks for sharing. And good luck with your heteromorph. I'm sure it will turn out excellent with your eye for detail and preparatory research.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I would like to thank everyone that had such nice things to say about my work, it means a lot.  As I mentioned when I introduced myself, I taught junior high and high school students in science for almost 30 years, the last 26 of which were in a urban inner city district.  I really enjoyed teaching and had fun interacting with my students even if some of the comments,("when is he ever going to stop talking" or "this is boring" or "when will we ever need to know this")occurred far to frequently.  Don't get me wrong, I had so many great kids that were funny and had wonderful things to say but showing my sculpture has been very positive and such a treat.  I look forward to showing you my next pieces when they are completed.  If anyone wanted to look for additional images for some of my sculpture my web site is www.herrmannstudio.com . 

For my next piece I am sculpting the heteromorphic ammonite crioceratites or something closely related.  I like the overall shape of the shell, the open coils and the symmetrical spaced spines.  My plan for this piece is to have the ammonite suspended above the display surface/tabletop by a frond of kelp about three feet up.  The sculpture should display well from across the room and hopefully the texture of the ammonite and the kelp will be a interesting contrast.

If anyone has an image of an ammonite of this type taken looking down into the vent it would be a great help.  That would allow me to get an accurate count of the ammonite spines and placement around the shell.  I will attach some images of the type of ammonite I interested in.

Again, thank you for your interest!

OIAAF15_Fossil-Ammonite-Crioceras-nolani_Peter-Pittmann-Fossilien.jpg

Crioceratites_nolani_France_450_mm.jpg

Your work is absolutely beautiful! Keep it going!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Wow o wow your paleo art really is marvelous.  I especially liked the Isotelus trilobite..looks like its on the hunt. 

Can any of these works be viewed in public? I just want to stare at these for hours.

Thank you again anyone who posted such nice comments about my work, as far as Juan Emmanuel's post about where the sculptures can be seen in person, Juan, I will have them in an art show in Reading, Pennsylvania in October of this year.  There are about 180 artist that will be showing their work, most of it is 2D artwork with a few 3D artists thrown in.  Although the thematic material of the show is mostly fantasy and science fiction there are a lot of really talented wildlife artist who exhibit including a few other artist that do paleo art.  The name of the show is Illuxcon 2017 it will be from October 18-22.  I will take my fantasy pieces and my paleo sculptures to the show as well as any wildlife pieces that might be appropriate.  There were quite a few visitors to the show and a few exhibiting artist from Ontario in 2016.

Wonderful work an eye candy treat if I ever saw one, thank you for the post.

Regards

Mike

Oh, my! These are absolutely fabulous. Thanks for sharing with us, and welcome to the forum. :)

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Your work truly IS brilliant and meticulously detailed!  I can also appreciate your love for teaching Science.  I finally retired from doing precisely the same thing for 39 years (all in an urban school district) and I do miss the little monsters.  They have a way of keeping you young...even when you're not!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

• 3 weeks later...

Incredible work!!! Thanks for sharing:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Thank you, what is the "not big rock " you are holding?  I stepped on something in Florida on one trip and pulled up a mammoth or mastodon calcaneum, cool!

Archived