james herrmann

• 9 months later...

Last year in April I posted a question about a sculpture that I was beginning the research for and even posted a few images of the type of fossil I was basing the artwork on.  It was a meromorphic ammonite, crioceratites.  I really liked the symmetry, the open spiral of the shell and all of the spikes.  I worked on it last summer and fall off and on, completed it and got it to the foundry this past December and got it back in early January of this year so here are a few images.  This most challenging part of this was to make the sculpture feel like it was pulling its way along the waving tops of a kelp forest, supporting the large mass of the ammonite cantilevered out and up relative high above the base while still keeping the sculpture strong and stable.  I wove the kelp leaves together and created a truss to support the ammonite and carry its weight down to the base.  The sculpture is about 40" tall and is mounted on a green marble base.  I chose the green marble to keep with the kelp forest theme, the colors of the stone bear a striking resemblance to the shades of light and dark green with the sun shining through waving fronds of kelp.  I also posted some of these images in my member gallery.

_97P5322.jpg

_97P5359.jpg

Phenomenal!  :wub: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Your ability to capture force, tension, and movement is extraordinary. That it is also scientifically accurate and beautiful....
I am in awe.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

thank you all for your kind words about my work.  When I took the wax casting from my original clay sculpture to the foundry they had reservations about the kelp support and its ability to hold securely the ammonite especially as it is cantilevered a bit off to one side.  I added a few more kelp leaves but really, bronze is such a strong material and welded/cast together in a truss it carried the weight quite nicely.  Thanks again!

Magical! And accurate too. Amazing.Thank you for sharing your work and your talent. Inspiring.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Thank ynot and Pagurus, ynot in reference to your question about wether I had done any other pieces, I have been working in cast bronze for about 20 years now and about a third of the pieces I sculpt have a paleontological theme to them, the others being animal/wildlife pieces  and fantasy pieces.  I do have a web site, www.herrmannstudio.com with many of my sculptures shown, but not all and not the most recent.  If you go back to page one of this topic I have a few images of some of my other pieces.  Thanks again!

Really nice work! You've done a brilliant job of making something appear delicate and weightless even though it's made from metal. I really enjoy that aspect in great sculpts.:dinothumb:keep up the good work!!

Eh, its OK for a kindergarden level art.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I only wish I had as much talent as you possess in your pinky fingernail.

Fantastic, wonderful, terrific, awe inspiring.

Words just don't describe.

Andyl and Caldigger thank you for appreciating my artwork, I'm glad you like it!

Wow!  This is great stuff.  I am duly impressed.  Do you make multiple copies and sell your work.  I bet you could sell a few at the Denver or Tucson fossil shows.  

7 hours ago, james herrmann said:

If you go back to page one of this topic I have a few images of some of my other pieces.

Don't know how I missed those wonderful sculptures.

You do amazing work.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you, my wife says that she can see my work improving over time, hope so!

Thanks jpc, with all of my work I start out sculpting the original out of oil or wax based clays then make rubber molds from that.  I started out using latex brush on rubber for molds then pretty rapidly switched to silicone or urethane rubber molds.  With these molds I can make copies of my original sculpture and sell them as open editions, (make as many as I want), or limited editions.  I sell from my web site, at shows, at galleries, to repeat clients for private collections and to museums or other public institutions.  I am considering going out to the Tucson show at some point, I hear it is huge, and based on friends descriptions that went out this year, overwhelming!  I might need to go out next year as a scouting run and see what part of the show would be a good fit.  The bronze is heavy stuff so I would have to drive it out which will be a 2-3 day drive, Denver is a bit closer.  I see you are based in Wyoming, at one point I did have work in Jackson Hole Wyoming gallery but that is also a long 2 or 3 day drive.  Thanks again.

Archived